How can you protect your Health Insurance coverage if you become seriously ill and are unable to work for the small employer who provides the plan?

Federal and California COBRA basically provides that if you are no longer covered under a group health plan, you can keep the coverage for 18 (Federal) or 36 months (California) at 2 to 10% more than the employer was paying for you. This may or may not be less expensive than getting your own plan. Shop and compare the figures, you might save a lot of money. With your own coverage you have the option of taking a higher deductible, HSA or not taking maternity dental, life or vision to save $$$. When you lose coverage under a group plan, your Employer should automatically send you all the information about COBRA continuation coverage. If you have problems, we can lead you in the right direction. It's basically though something that you arrange directly through your Former Employer's HR Department or Insurance Company. When you're COBRA expires, we can help you with continuation coverage under HIPAA or other options.