Asked in
Children and the Law
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out

How can your boyfriend's mom get legal custody over you?


User Avatar
Wiki User
September 25, 2005 8:25PM

She will need to file a petition in the proper court to be appointed as your legal guardian. Unless there is valid proof of neglect or abuse by the minor's parents or the parents agree to the action, it is unlikely that guardianship will be granted. The person petitioning for guardianship rights is required to pay all court and legal fees and present the required documentation to support their request. The procedure is generally straightfoward, but if contested can be complicated and financially costly.