REMOVAL & INSTALLATION Front
1. Remove the brake master cylinder reservoir cap. Siphon and recycle approximately half the fluid from the reservoir.
2. Raise and support the vehicle safely.
3. Remove the wheels.
4. Remove the disc brake caliper guide pins.Torx bolt 40 or 45 (can't remember which)
It is not necessary to disconnect the hydraulic lines.
5. Lift the disc brake caliper from the anchor plate.
6. Position the disc brake caliper out of the way by suspending with a wire.
7. Remove the brake pads from the anchor plate.
8. Inspect the rotor surfaces for scoring or buildup of lining material. Minor imperfections do not require machining. Hand sand the glaze from the rotor using 150 grit aluminum oxide sand paper.
9. Use a C-clamp and wooden block to seat the disc brake caliper hydraulic piston in its bore, as illustrated. This must be done to provide clearance for the disc brake caliper to fit over the front rotor during installation.
10. Remove all built-up rust from the inside of the brake caliper pad contact area.
11. Install the brake pads, with the clip on insulators, into the front brake caliper anchor plate.
12. Install the disc brake caliper onto the anchor plate.
13. Install the disc brake caliper guide pins and tighten to 23-38 ft. lbs. (31-38 Nm).Failure to tighten the lug nuts to the proper torque in a star pattern may result in damage to the brake rotor.
14. Install the wheel and tighten lug nuts to 83-112 ft. lbs. (113-153 Nm).
15. Lower the vehicle.
16. Pump the brake pedal to seat the brake pads.Answer to replacing front brake padsThe unspoken crime of the automotive industry is the ease at replacing brake pads. Each year, people spend millions of dollars paying for a service that they can easily do by themselves. It is as easy as changing your oil. It is very easy to change the front disc brakes on a Ford Windstar '03. I have an 03 Limited. First, remove the wheel. Then, loosen the bottom bolt that holds the caliper in place. Swing the caliper up! Next, remove the brake pads by pulling them from the disc. Then, use a caliper tool to reset it. Next, spread the break pad lubricant on the brake pad and the caliper; this will lessen/eliminate noise when the brakes are applied. Lower the caliper onto the new brake pads - the most difficult part in my opinion - and secure the bolt. YOU ARE DONE! It's a good idea to secure your new brake pads by making short stops and pushing the brake pedal down as far as it will go. You've just saved yourself at least $100 bucks!
The front rotors have four to five Allen headed retaining bolts near the center of the hub(around the hub). These have to be carefully removed as to not damage or strip the heads. I suggest spraying with some liquid wrench before attempting to unscrew. Remember, right to tight, left to loose.
How to Install Front Brake Pads
Check Related links below.
There is actually a video on how to install front brake pads.
I did not think the Windstar came with *front* drum brakes (assuming the question is referring to brakes)...There are instructions for changing front disc brakes and rear drum brakes in the "Related Questions" below
How do you change the front brakes on a Ford Escort- ZX2 model, 2002 model
YES , the Ford Windstar is a front wheel drive vehicle
Diod you check front brake pads
I just did my 2005 Ford Escape front brakes and the caliper was 7mm Allen and main holder is 18mm ...RRR Wis.
How to change front brakes on 2002 ford f-150 xlt Triton v8
how to change front and rear brakes on a 2003 ford mustang V-6
go to a car garage
Windstar mini-vans are front wheel drive.
how do you change a shaft soleniod in a ford windstar 1995 v6 3.8 engin
Remove the tire and wheel. Remove the brake pad springs. The brake pads will come off. Reverse the process to install the new brake pads.
The front brakes on the Windstar are disc brakes. The rear brakes are drum type. You need to know exactly which parts need to be changed and why. If it is just the pads its pretty easy to do. But if the rotors are bad too, you will need to remove the calipers to access them then re-install the calipers with new pads. If you are not sure what you are doing seek advice from a mechanic
Check the front brakes. the most common problem for grinding is worn brake pads allowing the metal backer to rub the rotor.
The front disc brakes for a 1995 Ford can be purchased at auto parts stores such as Pep Boys. The prices for the front disc brakes start at $120.00.
Tools needed to replace front brakes 2002 Ford Focus?
fordparts.com shows disc brakes on the front of a 1988 Ford Ranger
Since the Windstar has both struts (front) and shocks (rear), both procedures are covered in the 2 "Related Questions" below
You start by adjusting the rear brakes after you have inspected them.
disc brakes , front and rear
Where can I find a diagram of a 1999 Ford F250 front disc brakes before I attempt to install them?
I just put new brakes on my 98 Ford Windstar van but the ABS light and the trac active light is still on, and at times the brakes stalls goes all the way to the floor, and the van acts like the wheels are locking up.
disc brakes - front and rear
disc brakes , front and rear
is it front or rear