How do you change the neutral safety switch in a 1988 Grand Prix LE?
If your talking about the Neutral Start (Starter Safety)
1. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Caution: On models equipped with the Theftlock audio system, be sure the lockout feature is turned off before performing any procedure which requires disconnecting the battery.(This switch is also referred to as the PNP (Park-Neutral Position) switch.
2. Shift the transaxle into Neutral.
3. Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.
4. Trace the wire harness from the Neutral start switch to the connector and unplug it. Detach the wire harness from the two retention clips.
5. Lower the vehicle.
6. Disconnect the electrical and vacuum connectors from the cruise control servo if equipped. Remove the servo and set it out of the way on the cowl.
7. Remove the nut and detach the shift lever from the transaxle.
8. Remove the bolts and detach the switch. If the original switch is to be reinstalled, scribe a sharp line on the switch mounting bracket around the heads of the mounting bolts before the switch is removed. This will aid in position the switch on installation.
9. To install the switch, line up the flats on the shift shaft with the flats in the switch and lower the switch onto the shaft.
10. Install the bolts. If the switch is new and the shaft hasn't been moved, tighten the bolts. If the switch requires adjustment leave the bolts loose and follow the adjustment procedures below...
11. Line up the outer notch on the switch with the inner notch on the shift shaft and tighten the switch bolts.
12. Connect the negative battery cable and verify that the engine witll start only in Neutral or Park.
If you have replaced the alternator and fuses and checked the battery but your 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee won't start or even turn over what should you check next?
Check the neutral safety switch on the shifter. If you place the shifter into neutral or push the shifter harder into the park position, this may change the switch position to allow it to start. There is a recall on the grand Cherokees for this switch. Answer Check the battery, i had the same problem once and it turned out to be one of the cells in my battery had gone bad
The Neutral Safety Switch is located on the top of the transmission under the brake booster. It is clearly visible (from the correct angle). It has a silver lever/actuator and a long cable coming from it. It's also pretty easy to get to by hand. I need to replace mine. Hope this will help. -Darin- 1999 Grand Prix GT coupe
The PRNDL (aka Neutral Safety Switch) Switch is located on the Transmission right near where it meets the engine. You will see the arm and shift cable right on top of it when you look below the master cylinder. Make sure voltage to the purple wire of Starter is cut off before you get down there. If you get voltage, your problem is not this switch or the ignition switch.