Yes, it is a fairly simply procedure. I just did my 2000 Grand Am with the V6 and it took under an hour.
1. Support the engine from below with a jack. Need to support it enough to take the tension off the engine mount. I used a bottle jack with a 2x4 across the oil pan.
2. Remove the passenger side engine mount. 4 bolts here.
3. Place a 3/8" ratchet in the square hole in the serpentine belt tensioner. I used a piece of pipe on the handle for a little more leverage.
4. Use the ratchet to release the tension on the belt.
5. Pull the belt off of the various pulleys, remove from engine.
6. Use the routing diagram on the engine to route the new belt. I left the alternator as the last pulley. Use the ratchet again to release the tension. Pop the belt over the alternator pulley. Release the tensioner. Follow the belt around to make sure it is seated on all pulleys.
7. Replace engine mount.
8. Remove engine support.
9. Make sure all tools are out of engine compartment.
10. Start engine.
For the 2.4 2000 grand am:
You only need a 5/8" box wrench and 1/2"box wrench to use as a wedge.
You don't have to take anything apart, or loosen any bolts.
1. Place the 5/8" on the idler pulley. Keep the 1/2" ready to grab with your right hand.
2. Standing on the passenger side, put pressure on the 5/8" with your left hand (turn it counter clockwise). At the same time, grab the belt below the alternator with your right hand and pull hard on it. You will feel the idler pulley start to lift as the belt gets looser.
3. Pull the idler back as far as you can go. (there was a hose that I had to push out of the way)
4. Drop the belt and grab the 1/2", while maintaining pressure on the 5/8". Carefully place the 1/2" wrench against one of the vanes of the alternator and against the coolant container to act as a brace to lean the 5/8" wrench against.
5. WARNING: the idler pulley has a lot of tension on it now. Wear safety glasses (maybe a mouth guard?) If the 1/2 slips out of place, the 5/8 may go flying.
6. Do not let go of the idler pulley without either:
a) having a belt on it (you've been warned) or
b) having it wedged open
7. Now you can remove the old belt, and put the new one back on very easily.
8. It's almost impossible to see in there, and there isn't much room. I just went by feel. After the new belt is on, carefully relieve the pressure on the pulley, and your done.
It took longer to find my drop light than it did to replace the belt. About 10 minutes.
It was the easiest repair job I ever did. I take my hat off to the engineers who designed this vehicle. Good Job !
10. Double check the alignment of the belt, and listen for any funny noises after you start it up.
where are the oxygen sensors on a 2000 Pontiac grand am and how do you change them?
change front coil spring on 2000 Pontiac grand am
The front speakers on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am are 4x6. The rear speakers on a Pontiac Grand Am are 6x9.
Thermostat housing diagram for a 2000 Pontiac grand am?
What is the firing order for a 2000 pontiac grand prix gtp
May eleventh two thousand and nine is when the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix was manufactured. The 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix cars where made in many U.S. locations.
Please email me a photo of where the blower motor resistor is and how to change it. Thanks, Michael. By the way I want it for a 2000 Sunfire not a Grand Am.
how do I replace water pump 2000 Pontiac Grand AM SE1?
check out www.gaownersclub.com or www.n-body.net, they have tech sections (do a forum search) on this, if one site doesn't have it, the other will. -matt
alternator on a 2000 Pontiac runs off a serpentine belt if its loose then chances are ur serpentine belt is worn or stretched or your tensioner pulley is bad or the tensioner itself..alternator bolts stable does not move like the old setup.
how to disconnect alarm in a 2000 pontiac grand am se
how do you remove dash from a 2000 Pontiac grand prix se
no way dif motor monts
what are the torque specs for lifters on a 2000 Pontiac grand am gt
The front door speakers on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am Se are 4x6. The rear deck speakers are 6x9.
a grand am 2000 runs 205kmph on highway
Where is thermostat in 2000 Pontiac lamans
i have a 2000 pontiac grand prix that seem to burn alot of antifree
The EGR valve is located on the side of the intake on the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. It is close to the intake manifold.
I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE and it takes Dexcol, it's bright orange instead of green.
How do I replace a fuel pump on a 2000 grand prix gtp
does not have one