Note:It may be necessary to remove the exhaust pipe(s) or frame crossmember to gain access to the starter.In extreme cases it may be necessary to unbolt the mounts and raise the engine slightly to get starter out
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.If the vehicle is equipped with a delco loc 2 or theftlock audio system make sure to have the activation code before disconnecting the battery.
- Raise the front of the car and support it securely on jackstands.Apply the parking brake and block the rear wheels.
- On 2.2L engines with manual transaxle remove the brace between the engine and the transaxle.On 2.3L and 2.4L OHC engines remove the air intake ducts to gain access to the top starter motor bolt locatedon the transaxle
- Remove the mounting bolts and detach the starter.Note the location of the spacer shims they must be reinstalled in the same position (if used)
- Working under the car clearly label then disconnect the wires from the terminals on the starter motor and solenoid