Transmission Fluid
Ford Contour

How do you change the transmission fluid in a 1997 Ford Contour?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-07-15 21:38:53
2015-07-15 21:38:53

Well I'm not very experienced at this but according to the manual I read, if you have an automatic transmission you don't need to change the transmission filter because you would have to take appart the entire transmission.

All you need to do is drain the transmission fluid into a drain pan like you would when chaning your oil. The transmission fluid drain plug is found under the driver side of the engine and is a female, square bolt you will need to remove.

Once the fluid has drained, you will need to put the plug back in place and firmly put the bolt/plug back in place. (use about 20 lbs of pressure on it)

Then you can add the new transmission fluid throgh the filler tube. You will need a long thin spouted funnel to be able to get the fluid to the right location. I am not sure but I think you can add the fluid right where the dip stick is located.

Your owners manual will specify what type of fluid to buy and what your transaxle capacity for fluid is in the back index section of the Owner's Guide.


Related Questions

User Avatar

Before you can change the transmission fluid on a 1997 BMW 540-I you need to remove the plug and drain the old fluid. The new fluid is poured into the top of the transmission in the hole marked for transmission fluid.

User Avatar

To change the transmission fluid on a 1997 BMW 540-I you need to first remove the plug and train the old fluid. Replace the plug and fill the transmission with new fluid.

User Avatar

Do you mean "change THE transmission" or "Change the transmission FLUID"? Big difference there....

User Avatar

what do I need to change the 1997 Plymouth voyager transmission oil

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.