Asked in
The Difference Between

How do you get temporary custody of a niece when the father is in jail and the mother is on her way to jail the maternal grandparents are not fit and the paternal grandmother is unable?


User Avatar
Wiki User
February 24, 2014 4:56PM

Get an attorney and petition the court to award you custody. Generally speaking, family courts really like to place children with relatives where possible, so your chances are fairly good. "Not fit" may be just your opinion, but it's certainly possible the court will share it, and the fact that you're stepping up and being proactive about it will likely weigh in your favor.