Children and the Law
Child Support

How do you get visitation rights to see your 81 year old father who lives with a sister that will not allow you to see him?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-07-15 19:27:16
2015-07-15 19:27:16

Is there a restraining order in effect against you? What is the reason your sister gives for not allowing you to see your father? Is he able to make decisions for himself or is she his legal guardian? All these questions play a part in your situation. She can keep you from coming to her home, as that is private property and within her control. Denying you the right to see your parent, however is not necessarily within her power to decide. You should consult a Family or Elder law attorney. There are many who offer free consultations and will give you an idea of what your options may be. Good luck.


Related Questions

User Avatar

If the father has visitation rights and the mother refuses to allow the father those rights, then the father can sue the mother in a civil contempt proceeding. If she doesn't have a good reason for disallowing the visitation then she can be held in contempt of court. There are various remedies including giving the father more visitation to make up for the visitation that was disallowed by the mother or even giving the father custody, but usually, the judge will just order the mother to allow the visits. His paying or not paying child support has nothing to do with whether or not he gets visitation (i.e. he gets visitation regardless of whether or not he is current with child support).

User Avatar

No, a stepfather will not have visitation rights to his stepson after a divorce. The mother can always allow the stepfather to visit if she wants.

User Avatar

He essentially give up everything. The child is no longer his legally. He has no responsibilities toward the child and has no visitation rights.

User Avatar

No. A father has the right to see their child. Only the court can bar visitations. A mother who refuses to allow the father his visitation rights risks losing custody.

User Avatar

If there's a court order, than yes.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.