Asked in

How do you leave the Roman Catholic Church?


User Avatar
Wiki User
December 02, 2016 5:03AM

A person who no longer considers himself or herself a Catholic does not need to resign formally from the Church. At most it is only necessary is to formally associate with another denomination or non-Christian religion. If you do not wish to commit to a particular religion, or if you have decided that God does not really exist, then no action is necessary.
If, however, you wish to have your name removed from the baptismal records, you may write to the church and request this. You will receive a reply in which you will be asked to attend a meeting with the church authorities. The purpose of that meeting will be to pressure you into reversing your decision and you may well decide not to attend. However, you must reply, reaffirming your decision, otherwise the church will take no action. In due course, you should receive a communication stating that you are no longer considered a Catholic.

User Avatar
Wiki User
September 13, 2011 5:10AM

Just ex-communicate yourself and stop attending church rituals. No need for formal declaration.

Yes. You could do that ofcourse. But I am guessing your asking this question because of a deeper intellectual and spiritual conflict with the catholic church that simply not going to mass would not satisfy...

So my advice is, use the internet to research the church and the problems you have with it, see if theres anything you are missing that's right there in front of you - after all, people become catholics every day for a reason...

Hope this helps.