Children and the Law
Birth Certificates

How do you make sure your mother gets custody of your daughter if you were to die instead of her father and stepmother who are not financially stable?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-07-15 19:04:05
2015-07-15 19:04:05

There is no way the legal father won't get custody if you die first. Unless it can be proven by your mother that the child is living in physical, mental, or emotional abuse. Or the father signs all his rights away to you before you die.

It is my understanding that if a Father has supervised or restricted parenting time, then you can either request the Court or make an agreement between the parties that your parents or a designated temporary custodian be appointed in the event of your untimely death. Then, the Court can later decide who the child(ren) should be with. I know that there is a law in Indiana on this. I'm not sure about other states. Also, I'm sure that the Father would be able to fight this if he wanted.

• Essentially, the only way to have a chance at this, is if you have a will stating you want care to go to your parents instead of the father. A will is a legal document that must be followed. The father could fight this, but he would find it difficult and excessively expensive. I got that info from my lawyer.


Related Questions

User Avatar

You cannot become emancipated from just one parent. And no state will even consider emancipating a 13-year-old. I'm guessing this is not really an emancipation issue, but instead a custody/visitation issue, which is a very different thing.

User Avatar

You can not decide where to live at this age but tell your mother you are not living with your father so she can bring this to court and get custody of you. You can not just move out against his wishes so better your mother go through the proper channels.

User Avatar

Because he can and also had it stated in their pre-nups. It will be interesting to see if Katie fights for her child or relinquishes for the money instead?? Please say it isn't so - I really admire Katie and hope that whe fights to the end for custody of her daughter, Suri!!

User Avatar

You are required to live with the parent that your custody decree awarded custody to. It doesn't matter what you want. If your dad has custody and you run away to live with your mom instead, it's even possible your mom could go to jail for this. If you think you can convince a court that it's in your best interest to modify the custody decree and award your mother custody instead, then you can always get a lawyer to petition the court to revise the custody decree.

User Avatar

A husband sleeping with his daughter is considered child abuse if the daughter is a minor and is always incest, and illegal act.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.