Asked in Cable InternetComputer NetworkingLocal Area Network
How do you make the default gateway available?
January 22, 2011 4:33PM
It depends on the version your operating system and whether or not you are using dhcp.
If you have a modem or router that is a dhcp server you could set your IP option to "Obtain an IP address automatically". For example, in XP you would do the following steps;
1. Left click on the Start Menu option
2. Right click on the icon of "My Computer"
3. Left click on "Explorer"
4. Left click on "Control Panel"
5. Left click on "Network Connections"
6. Right click on "Local Area Connection"
7. Left click on "Properties"
8. Make sure that the Radio button (Open Dot) in front of, "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.
You can also have static "or non automatic" IP addressing. To Do this you need to find out the IP range your router is working in and configure it. That is more involved and if you wish to do that I would suggest that you look up "setting automatic IP addresses".