Most Mercury Vapor Lamp Fixtures have a PLUG IN module on top of the fixture. Most are about the size of an inverted "shot glass" and have a photocell "eye" somewhere on the outside surface. Typically, you turn the Module counterclockwise to "unlock" the module from the socket and pull the module UP and off the top of the lamp fixture.
Failure mode for these Light Sensors are twofold: Either [ 1 ] the electric eye's lens gets cloudy and the light stays on unless it is VERY sunny....or [ 2 ] the Module, being mounted ABOVE the light fixture gets HOT...and over the years the module gets COOKED and fails. Take the light sensor with you to an electrical supply house and match it up with a new one !!
BYW: Inspect the socket and plug of the Light Sensor module & lamp fixture. Often the "cooked module" will fail because of socket/plug failure. The plug/socket Phenolic materials break down from the heat over the years . Or the contacts corrode.
NOTE: It is important , when installing the Light fixture...that the plug-in Light Sensor' photocell lens is pointing AWAY from the building or other mounting structure. If the "electric eye' is facing the structure..the reflected light will confuse the light sensor and the lamp will come on DIM[*] , flicker or turn off & on constantly.
[ * ] Do not confuse the " comes on DIM " statement with the normal DIM warmup cycle of the lamp.
It is also advised to have the High Output Merury Vapor LIght on a dedicated electrical circuit. If you are using an existing circuit for outside-the-house loads..... such things like pool pumps etc will extinguish the lamp when the pump kicks in.. The pump's heavy inductive load in-rush current on startup will cause the lamp to go out..... in a few minutes the lamp will restart, warm up and come back at full intensity.
Between Metal Halide and Mercury Vapor the higher output is emitted from the Metal Halide lamp.
The sensor it uses to turn off nad on with the sun goes down/up went bad and needs replaced.
To change a fuel vapor sensor on a 1997 GMC Sonoma you need to disconnect the wires that are holding it in place. Next, remove the old sensor and replace with the new one.
It is a low weight mercury-vapor gas-release light that uses fluorescence to deliver obvious light. An electric current in the gas energizes mercury vapor which creates short-wave bright light that then causes a phosphor covering within the globule to sparkle.
The sensor has to be in its socket to test it as it needs power to it to operate. Cover the sensor completely with a dark cloth so that no light can get to any part of the sensor. The light fixture should turn on. If it does not then remove the lamp from the fixture and check for voltage in the lamp socket. If there is voltage there, then the lamp is at fault. What we are now checking for is whether the sensor is operating and the lamp or ballast is at fault. If there is voltage at the lamp socket then the sensor is operating. If there is no voltage at the lamp socket or ballast the sensor is faulty, it needs to be changed out for a new one.
Ionized mercury vapor radiates in the near ultra-violet (a high energy source of radiation) which energizes the fluorescent coating inside the bulbs.
mercury vapor in the tube is ionized by electric currentionized mercury vapor emits UV lightphosphor coating on inside surface of tube absorbs UV light becoming excitedexcited phosphor coating emits visible light
A fluorescent light bulb contains a low pressure mercury vapor gas-discharge lamp. This lamp produces visible light by sending electrical current through the mercury vapor and energizing the molecules. This produces ultraviolet light that causes a phosphor coating on the bulb to glow.
They change state, from liquid to vapor: liquid alcohol becomes alcohol vapor, liquid mercury becomes mercury vapor.
No you cannot!! You would have to replace the transformer.
I know that Black lights and mercury vapor lights (including CFLs) attract more moths than incandescent lamps, but I'm not sure if black lights are better than mercury vapor lights.
Why does mercury vapor lamp turn off and on? In:[Improve]
Dude! Did you not read your question??? You said Mercury Vapor! You don't fix it! It's Mercury vapor. You're "playing with fire there." You need to call your local municipality/township and find out where the nearest hazardous disposal facility is for this bulb and dispose of it properly. Then go to the store and buy a new bulb.
Converting mercury liquid to mercury gas (vapor) is a PHYSICAL change, not a chemical change.
Mainly white. A lot of the time Blue/White or sometimes Green/White.
Peter Cooper Hewitt patented the first prototype of the fluorescent light bulb in 1901. It was a mercury vapor lamp.
The electrons in the mercury arc current in the tube causes the mercury vapor to emit ultraviolet light. The inside surface of the tube is coated with a phosphor that glows with visible light when hit by ultraviolet light.
Mercury vapor is the element mercury in the gas phase. It must be a pretty high temperature or low pressure because mercury doesn't turn into a gas very easily!
Mercury vapor is the important one. There may be other gases as well.
Yes but only under a vacuum, such as in a light bulb, a fluorescent tube, or vacuum chamber.
A small amount of mercury vapor inside the tube supports an electrical arc which emits UV light. The chemical coating on the inside of the tube transforms the UV light to visible light.The ballast is responsible for regulating the voltage and current in the electrical arc through the mercury vapor so that the bulb starts, maintains constant light, and does not damage itself or nearby objects.Answer 2:The entire theory of how florescent lights work is beyond the scope of this forum, but here's an overview.Florescent bulbs have a small amount of mercury in vapor form in an inert gas such as argon all contained in a glass tube/bulb. This mercury vapor is heated to start the flow of electric current through it which causes the vapor to glow. But the current would run out of control if not regulated. The ballast regulates this current flow this flow of current to keep the current and amount of light constant. The mercury vapor is a quite efficient emitter of light but it is outside of our visual range (ultraviolet light), so the inside of the tube/bulb is coated with a powder that glows with visible light when the ultraviolet light strikes it. This glowing is called fluorescing thus the name florescent light.