How do you replace the oil filter located on a 1998 Chevy Blazer?
98 models have a remote oil filter assembly. The oil filter is centered beneath the radiator. If you have skid plates, there is an access panel underneath the filter, just look under the front of the truck and you should see it. To change the filter during an oil change:
1. Remove the drain plug at the rear of the oil pan. Allow oil to drain.
2. Unscrew the old filter. Make sure that the old o-ring comes off with the filter, or the new filter could leak.
3. Apply a light coat of oil to the gasket on the new filter.
4. Hand tighten the new filter, and then tighten an additionial 1/4 turn.
5. Reinstall the drain plug.
6. Fill with 4.5 quarts of oil.