Best Answer

The plain answer is that you can't! There is no 110 Volt application I can think of that would have a heavy enough [large gauge] wire at the point you want to convert it that would service a 220 Volt oven.

Ask a licensed electrician to run a new cable of the proper size to new breakers of the proper size!


As always, if you are in doubt about what to do, the best advice anyone should give you is to call a licensed electrician to advise what work is needed.

Before you do any work yourself,

on electrical circuits, equipment or appliances,

always use a test meter to ensure the circuit is, in fact, de-energized.




User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2009-08-15 18:09:47
This answer is:
User Avatar

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: How do you rewire a 120V circuit to 240V for an oven?
Write your answer...
Related questions

How do you add 240v service for electric oven to replace a gas oven?

An electric oven must be on a dedicated circuit. Unless you already have a 220 Volt circuit available, you will have to run a wire from the fuse panel to the stove. Call a licensed electrician.

Can you connect a 15A 120V circuit to one phase of a 240V stove circuit without overloading the stove circuit?

Short answer: probably not. Longer answer: It depends on the size of wire feeding the stove, the stove amperage, and what you intend to connect to the new 15A circuit. If you just want to wire a light for the garage, sure go ahead. If you want to install a receptacle for a microwave oven, no way. Make sure you put a fuse to protect the circuit you are connecting.

How do you connect a 3 wire wall oven with red white and black wires to a 2 wire white and black 240V circuit?

Sounds to me like whatever circuit you're trying to connect the oven to is not meant for the oven. You need the same wires to run back to the panel as the ones in your wall oven.

Can you change electricity from 120V to 240V in your kitchen so that you could use a new electric oven instead of an old gas oven?

No The wiring isn't big enough to carry the load of an electric range Christmas is no time for a fire! Call an electrician!

How can you get 240V single phase power from a 240V 3 phase service Can you just connect to two poles of the 240V 3 phase service?

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but you probably need to ask an electrician familiar with your service and what you want to connect. As a general answer, you can connect a 240v line to line resistive load like an electric water heater to any 240v source. If you also need the 240v to have 120v line to neutral, like a 240v electric stove that contains a 120v clock and oven light, then its possible if the 3 phase power is connected in a "high delta" configuration, and you connect to the correct leads. If you have a high delta service and want to ignore the 3-phase power service and wire most or all of the loads in the building as a single phase load, the utility may have to be consulted.

Is there any way to connect four 1500-watt heaters to 120V if they are currently connected to 240V and being used as a makeshift hobby oven?

No. If the heaters are designed for 220V they cannot fun off of 110V. Also running a 1500W heater off of 110V would require a dedicated circuit. So four 1500W heaters would require 4 dedicated 110V circuits.

Does an electric stove burner use 220 or 110?

The burners will most likely be 240V. By keeping the range at 240 volts it will use less amps that at 120V. Say a range and oven is rated at 9000 watts. Watts = amps x volts. 9000/240V = 37.5 amps. 9000/120V = 75 amps. As you can see at 120 volts the amperage is double over 240 volts. You would need a 100 amp breaker and #4 wire to accomodate the range on 120 volts.

Can you take an existing 120V wiring in your kitchen and use it to create a 240V circuit for a wall oven where it would be prohibitively expensive to run a new cable for 240V service from the panel?

No. You will be one wire short. If you managed to wire an extra wire, the current would also be to high and you will risk fire. Like a bread toaster coil that turns red. Your best case scenario for the existing wiring will be 12-2. The minimum you need sor an electric range is 6-3. You are are 30A down and 1 wire short, and that's if you're lucky.

How do you wire a 240V 60Hz 20A convection oven?

two hot one ground

Will a 240V 60Hz microwave oven work with 240V 50Hz power?

Could you please give us a name of a 240 V 60 Hz microwave? Thank you

Can you plug a 240V oven range into a European outlet?

You might be able to plug in a 240V American oven range into a European outlet depending on the type of plug. Some&Ecirc;American high-powered appliances&Ecirc;have 3 or 4 pins, which may require adapters to plug into European outlets.

Can you hook up a a separate stove top oven and separate oven on the same circuit?

No, the electrical code requires that each be on it's own circuit.

Can you plug in a 240v-50Hz 2.8kW oven into the mains socket or does it have to be hardwired into a spur?

Yes it can be plugged in with a 13A plug.

How can you tell if your wiring and breaker box can handle it if you want to replace your wall-mounted oven and countertop burner unit with a new slide-in range with the flat top heating elements?

industry standard practice. the electrical load from a combination range is the same as the combined loads from a wall oven and countertop. so your panel and electric service will handle it. BUT the range will be on a single circuit and you must ensure that the range circuit requirements are met. the circuit requirements are on the nameplate. for example, if the range requires a 30 amp circuit and your wall oven was a 30 amp circuit then you can use the wall oven circuit. but if the range requires a 40 amp circuit, then you have to pull a 40 amp circuit from the panel to the range.

Is it safe to use an oven that has a dryer plug put on?

It will work if, the dryer plug you are using is the same electrical voltage as the oven. If your oven is electric, it is 220 - 240v, if gas, 110 - 120v. A 220 plug has either 3 or 4 prongs, depending on your appliance being a 3 or 4 wire system. A 4-wire system will have a red wire (110v power), black wire (110v power), white wire (neutral/common), green wire (ground). A 3-wire system will be missing the white or green wire. 110v system (gas oven or dryer) will have a black (power), white (neutral), green (ground). It will work, but be limited. Dryer circuits are 30A, whereas oven circuits are 50A. You cannot just upgrade the dryer wiring to 50A as it is not rated for that and will start a fire. To use the oven properly you need to install a properly rated circuit. Do it right or don't do it at all. Negligence is fatal with electricity.

How many volts are in a oven?

In residential applications, the supply voltage is between 200 and 250V. Nominally we call this 220v or 240v depending on who you ask.

How much power does a microwave oven use if it has a current of 5.8A and a voltage of 120V?

5.8 amps x 120 volts = 696 watts

What happens when a short circuit occurs in the oven?

Usually the breaker will trip.

Is it possible to power a 240V oven off 120V?

Are you certain that you mean "amps"? Maybe you mean 110 VOLTS. The voltage in most home circuits are 110 volts except for a few appliances like driers, well pumps, hot water heaters, etc. And even those appliances probably only use 30 amps or so. The whole house may only have the capacity for 100 amp or maybe as much as 250 amp service. And to answer the question, a 220 volt appliance would not work on a 110 volt circuit.

If I wanted to switch from a gas oven to an electric oven, what all would I have to purchase?

To switch from a gas oven to an electric oven, you'll only need to purchase the oven, close the valve on your gas line, and make sure that you have a proper sized circuit available in your home.

What size breaker is used on a 6800 watt oven 240V?

a 30 amp breaker will work. the formula is power divided by voltage and then use next size up

Why will my Kitchen Aid oven will not turn on?

If it's an electric oven, the fuse may have blown, or the circuit breaker may have tripped. Do you know where your household fusebox/ breaker box is?

Possible electrical problem will my microwave oven be okay?

Check the circuit breaker to see if it tripped.

A microwave oven uses 1000 W of powerย ย The voltage source is 120Vย ย What is the current flowing through the microwave?

I = P/V = 1,000/120 = 81/3 Amp.

Need a circuit board for a thane flavor wave oven deiuxe?

in browser type, thane flavorwave oven reviews or go to, some body should help

Study guides

Create a Study Guide