How do you serve the defendant in small claims court?

There are 3 methods - check with the clerk of the court for service info specific to your state. 1. Hire a licensed process server to serve the papers. 2. Have the county sheriff serve the papers. or 3. Have a responsible adult who is 18 or older serve the papers. With option 3 you will need to make sure the person signs a return of service--sheriffs and process servers should prepare this paperwork automatically. Answer Try sending the notice by certified mail--signature needed by the particular person-- This worked for us and was a cheaper option. Of course, if they had not signed and made a reply to the court, we would have had to hire a process server.