Children and the Law
Child Support

How do you sign over custody rights?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-07-16 19:24:52
2015-07-16 19:24:52

You need legal counsel for this one or it can get messy. Really think of what you are doing before making this decision because once you have signed over custody these are on the court docs and if you change your mind in the future (and you well could) this won't look good and you could lose a lot in the end.

One reason a court will allow a parent to voluntarily their rights to a child/children is in the case of adoption. Another is, if there has been intervention by the justice system and it is at that time, in the best interest of the child, as opposed to the court permanently terminating parental rights. In most cases a parent voluntarily reliquishing rights retains the option to have them reinstated at a later time as long as legal adoption has not been finalized. That is not generally true when the rights are terminated by the court. State laws determine the process of voluntary relinquishment. It is best handled by an attorney specializing in family law, however information can be obtained from the clerk or court administrator of the court of jurisdiction. Be advised that depending upon individual circumstances, the surrendering of parental rights does not always relieve the parent(s) of financial obligations.


Related Questions

User Avatar

yes you do have to have full legal rights to sign over custody.

User Avatar

Yes signing over custody is not the same as giving up your parental rights. You still have the right to visitation for example.

User Avatar

Procedure depends on state law where you reside and what exactly you are signing over. Rights? Custody?

User Avatar

No, the voluntary relinquishment of parental rights or the termination of parental rights by a court is permanent and not subject to revocation.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.