How do you wire a 240V switch so that you can run an electric heater in the up position and a table saw in the down position?

If it is a simple two-pole switch marked on/off, you cannot create this situation. You could accomplish your intention with the use of a double-pole, double throw switch, center off [which would have six terminals]! Since you are controlling a saw, you would need a horsepower rated switch. Guessing that this is a domestic application, safety would suggest using a locking type switch. [But, then, I wouldn't put a table saw where I had electric heat either...] <><><> For a 220 run, the answer for those who want to know, is a 30amp DPDT(Double Pole/Double Throw), maintained contact switch. Leviton is one manufacturer who makes this switch although you can expect to spend anywhere between $60 to $90. IF YOU ARE NOT ALREADY SURE YOU CAN DO THIS JOB



If you do this work yourself, always turn off the power

at the breaker box/fuse panel BEFORE you attempt to do any work AND

always use an electrician's test meter having metal-tipped probes

(not a simple proximity voltage indicator)

to insure the circuit is, in fact, de-energized.