Shingles is caused by a viral infection of the sensory nerve of the skin. This can enter our body through food that we eat, or by common contact with a person that has the disease. In most severe cases it can enter the body through contaminated blood fusion.
Pathogens can enter the body in a number of ways. They can enter via intake of food or water. They can enter the mucous membranes through the fingers touching the mouth or eyes. They can enter via sexual contact. They can enter via respiratory inhalation. They can enter through breaks in the skin.