Police and Law Enforcement

How does a person get temporary custody of your infant without you signing over your rights and not going before a judge?



User Avatar
Wiki User

It is not necessary to obtain a court order to permit a friend or family member to care for your child temporarily (less than three months). You will need to give written permission allowing the adult who will be caring for the child/children to obtain medical care if needed and oversee any school issues if applicable. You MUST keep in contact (at least once a week) either in person, by phone or written correspondence with the caregiver and if applicable the child/children. You must also provide child support preferably as a written agreement with the caregiver as to what if any compensation is required. You should be cautious in signing anything that does not specify the exact terms of the temporary custody agreement.