How does one check the automatic transmission fluid level on a 1999 Pontiac GrandAm?
1. Be sure the engine is at normal operating temperature.
2. Leave the engine idling in Park with the emergency brake set.
3. Remove the transmission level dipstick, wipe off with link free rag.
4. Re-insert dipstick until it stops, remove and read where the fluid level is.
5. Within the 'hatch marks' should be ok.
Be careful not to overfill with more fluid than absolutely necessary.
as far as i know you cant check the transmission fluid on a 2000 Pontiac sunfire. It uses dexcool automatic transmission fluid and very rarley needs to be changed, i have a manual shift and it never has to be changed. Actually the only way that you can change it is by having it flushed the same way you flush a radiator, it has to be sucked out by a machine.