How does someone attend a court date for a lawsuit regarding a debt when it is being held over 2000 miles from where they live?

The person should seek legal counsel as the lawsuit may not be valid. In cases of credit card default, the suit has to be brought in the state where the debtor resides. Some contractual debts are different, for example if you buy a car in PA. but move to CA. you can be sued in PA. because that's where the contract was made. Most attorneys offer free consultations or at a minimal fee.

In such situations most judges will allow the defendant to "appear" through a telephone call. The call will be heard via speaker phone or other device to those present in the courtroom and it is assumed that the person is under oath whether or not the oath is actually administered.