Asked in The Sun
How many jupiters fit in the sun?
Asked in Planet Jupiter, The Sun
How many Jupiters can fit in the sun?
According to www.nineplanets.org the radius of the Sun is 697,000 km, which means that the volume of the Sun (using 4/3*pi*r3) is about 1,418,364,847.22 billion cubic km. The radius of Jupiter is 71,492 km, which gives us a volume of 1,530,600.9 billion cubic km. This means that inside the Sun, you could probably jam in about 926 Jupiters!
Asked in Planetary Science, Planet Jupiter, The Sun
How many suns can fit in Jupiter?
Asked in Science, Planet Jupiter
How many jupiters does it take to fill up the sun?
Asked in Planet Jupiter
Does the sun have a stronger magnetic field than Jupiter?
Asked in Planet Jupiter
How many Jupiters would it take to fill up the sun?
Simple answer. Approximately 1,000. ------- Precise answer. The Sun's diameter is 1,392,000 km, or 865,000 miles. Jupiter's diameter is 133,700 km, or 89,000 miles. The volume of a sphere (Jupiter and the Sun are both approximately, though not exactly, spheres) is (4/3)*pi*(radius)^3. But a simpler way to do this is to recognize that the volume of a sphere scales as its diameter (or radius) to the third power: length x width x height. Thus, if you could put a whole bunch of Jupiters in a blender, and pour the "Jupiter liquid" into an empty shell the size of the sun, the number of Jupiters you could fit would be equal to the ratio of their diameters to the third power. N = [(sun's diameter)/(jupiter's diameter)]^3 This turns out to be about 920. So a little over 900 Jupiters could fit inside the Sun, assuming you can squish down the Jupiters into liquid to fill the Sun with 100% efficiency. That said, if you tried to fit spherical Jupiters inside a volume the size of the sun, you could not fit quite so many due to the empty spaces left between the spheres. If you stacked Jupiters in the simplest way possible, with each essentially occupying a cubical volume of space, so they are arranged in straight rows, columns and stacks, the efficiency of that packing is the ratio of the volume of a sphere with diameter D to that of a cube with edge length D, which is about 0.52. So only about 52% of the Sun would be filled with Jupiter spheres; the other 48% would be empty space. In that case, you could fit about 480 Jupiters (=920*0.52) inside the Sun. A more efficient way to pack spheres is using a triangular lattice. You begin by arranging spheres in a triangular pattern, and once you've filled up an entire layer, you place down another layer of spheres, with each resting in the "dimple" between three neighbors on the lower level. Once that level is complete, you can make a third level in the same way, and so on. There are several ways you can choose to align the third and higher levels with respect to the first two, but all of them result in the same packing efficiency: 0.74. You can prove, using complex mathematics, that this is in fact the most efficient way to pack spheres, and that there is no packing scheme that will fit more spheres in a smaller space. Using this packing method, you could fit about 680 Jupiters (=920*0.74) inside the Sun.