Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2012-07-12 00:18:20

Usually an uninsured motorist accident is not chargeable against insured in any way. Your rates should not be effected at all with most insurance companies.

User Avatar

Your Answer

Related Questions

Uninsured MotoristUninsured motorist is pretty much insurance where if someone hits you and they lack auto insurance, your insurer will still pay damages for your car.

You need at least $2000 uninsured motorist coverage for you auto insurance policy in the state of Georgia

There is nothing much you can do if you are involved in accident with an uninsured car. There are reason why the other person do not get insurance as it could be because of his economic problems. A recent study showed that there are huge number of people in US who do not contain their auto or car insurance.

On average, in the state of Texas, and uninsured motorists insurance rate is up to 1000 to two thousand dollars a month, depending on age and gender.

It really depends on your driving background and if you've had tickets before, been in an automobile accident recently etc. It can cost anywhere from 100 dollars to 350 dollars.

If you get into an accident in New Jersey and are not insured, it will cost you a substantial amount. The cost to repair the vehicle, pay the fines if responsible for the accident and possibly have to pay for some damages done to other vehicles or public property.

Uninsured motoristUninsured Motorist coverage (which is required coverage in many states) covers injuries that the driver and occupants of a car sustain when the at-fault vehicle was not insured for liability coverage. UM does not cover the physical damage to the vehicle. UMPD (uninsured motorist property damage), where available, covers that physical damage. UMPD is essentially similar to collision coverage, which is first party insurance that pays regardless of fault, subject to a deductible.Uninsured motorist coverage pays essentially the same type of benefits (such as for pain and suffering) as the liability insurance of the other party would pay if the at-fault party had liability insurance. Additionally, the uninsured motorist insurer will generally evaluate a claimant's injuries in much the same way as a liability insurer would, and the claimant is subject to a reduction in damages for contributory or comparative negligence according to the law of the jurisdiction.

If it is the uninsured driver's fault in the accident, you can still file a lawsuit against the uninsured driver but you'll only be able to recover from their personal assets, which in many states won't be much because many states allow you to shield many personal assets from this sort of recovery. You will also be filing a claim against your own Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage on your insurance policy.

Did you locate the culprit? How much uninsured motorist insurance did you have? You have to find someone to sue.

Your best bet is to try and get a policy under your parents plan. This will give you discounts that you may not get otherwise when starting out on your own. If that is not an option, you should go to an insurance broker.

If you have "Uninsured motorist" on you policy, that should cover it. It should be as much as you are allowed to have because these liberal courts will not punish any one for not having insurance. If you try and sue them, good luck, same court system

That depends how costly the accident was. If the other driver is uninsured I doubt anything. But if everything is legit and you go get an estimate and your insurance adjuster will discuss that for you.

Of course. Do you think that NO ONE ever drives without insurance? Be covered and be protected against financial ruin. If you are a person who rarely carries passengers and you have good health insurance (which would cover any injuries you might incur in an accident anyway) why do you need to carry uninsured motorist coverage (which only covers bodily injury, not damage to your veh)? . You don't. In addition, in Florida you are required to have PIP (usually $10,000 worth of coverage) anyway, so you end up with like triple coverage if you have a good medical policy, PIP and Uninsured Motorist coverage. MOST MEDICAL HEALTH ONLY PAYS A LIMITED PT, WHAT IF YOU NEED A NURSE TO TAKE CARE OF YOU OR FAMILY MEMEBER? YOUR MEDICAL HEALTH DOES NOT PAY FOR THAT. Contrary to what is written above, you need uninsured motorist coverage for the simple fact that it also provides for lost wages. If the accident causes you to miss time from work, how are you going to recoup those wages? Does your health insurance provide that coverage? Nope. Uninsured motorist also provides a pain and suffering benefit. If the person who hit you doesn't have the money to pay for insurance, how much money do you think you'll be able to get from them for pain and suffering? Nada. Get it- you need it. No, it is not necessary. Anyone who says you should have it without enquiring about how this might be duplicated because of other insurance coverage or job benefits is just a salesman. Each situation is different. As a general rule, however, if you have good health insurance you don't NEED this insurance.

No, but it will make it much easier. The problem is without a police report it is harder to prove the accident occurred, how it occurred, who was involved, etc.

Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage is an important type of insurance coverage that all drivers should purchase. The road is an uncertain place, and not all drivers on the road are insured. If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, this type of coverage will kick in and pay your damages and expenses. If you do not have this coverage, your only remedy would be to seek a civil action against the other driver, which can be a hassle as it is a long process that takes a lot of time, money, and patience. Buying this uninsured driver coverage is a good first step to protecting yourself, but what should you do if you are actually involved in an accident with an uninsured driver? You should:Make sure everyone is okay. If there are visible injuries to anyone involved, dial 9-1-1 immediately.Clear the roadway. You want to be sure that no one else is injured as a result of your accident, so moving your car out of traffic as much as possible is important, provided that your state allows you to do so. (In some states, the law prevents moving a vehicle that is involved in the accident before the police arrive).Call the police. Be sure that you wait until the police arrive before leaving the scene. This is important since you will need a police report in order to file a claim with your insurance company. This also insures that the other driver is cited for having no insurance, which is important when filing a claim under your uninsured motorist policy.Exchange information with the other party. Get the other driver's name, address, telephone number, and the make, model, year, and color of the car that they are driving. You should also get their license plate number and if possible, VIN (vehicle identification number). Give the other driver your information, too.Don't admit fault. It is important that you avoid admitting that an accident is your fault, even if you think it is. That determination will be made by the investigating officer in most instances.Seek medical help for yourself and your passengers if needed. Many people don't realize that they are actually hurt until days after an accident. Documenting your injuries now can be important to any claim that might arise from the accident.Call your insurance company and file a claim. Reporting the accident as soon as possible following the accident is also a vital part of the claim process. Most insurance companies provide a 24/7 customer service number so that you can report your accident when it occurs.Following these steps can make it a bit simpler to file a claim under an uninsured motorist policy.

Texas drivers may wish to consider carrying uninsured motorist protection in addition to the required liability car insurance. Often abbreviated as UM, uninsured motorist protection covers the costs of property damage and bodily injuries sustained by an innocent party when caused by a driver not carrying his or her own liability policy. It is estimated that nearly one-fifth of all cars on Texas roadways are being driven by individuals not covered by a liability policy.Adding Uninsured Motorist Protection To The PolicyTexas drivers will be asked by their insurance agent if they wish to add this protection. Most insurance companies will offer several different levels of UM. Most commonly the suggested amount will be equal to the coverage limits on the liability policy written. This means that in the event of an auto accident where the at-fault driver carries no liability insurance, insured victims will be covered for property damage and personal injury costs equal to their own liability coverage amount. It is important to ask specific questions about these amounts when considering UM coverage. The cost of this coverage may also depend on the amount of liability protection being purchased.Combining UM With Personal Injury ProtectionPersonal injury protection is also optional in the state of Texas. This coverage guarantees medical bills will be paid when injuries are sustained in an auto accident. The coverage is paid regardless of who is at fault in an accident. Uninsured motorist protection may not be paid until some time after the accident occurs, meaning the innocent party may have to make an initial down payment for medical treatment. He or she may have to rely on health insurance if treatment is required immediately. Personal injury protection gives individuals peace of mind because the medical expenses are taken care of immediately. Combining PIP with uninsured motorist protection usually results in a discounted monthly price.Shop Online And SaveInsurance companies licensed to operate in the state of Texas will usually partner with an online affiliate comparison site. These sites offer multiple quotes on every type of insurance package including those with uninsured motorist protection as part of the policy. Shoppers will have the opportunity to choose from various amounts of UM as well as PIP. Quite often the monthly premiums for a full protection package are surprisingly low when both UM and PIP are included.Those who shop online for car insurance will want to investigate the prices for higher amounts of liability coverage when UM is added. Obtaining twice the state minimum required amount of liability insurance will not cost much more if UM and PIP are included.

One has to be ever vigilant and well prepared for a Auto accident, and the untold trauma suffered during an incident. The best way in which a person involved in a car accident can recover the huge financial and emotional damages caused is to purchase Auto insurance coverage. Jones Group Insurance Services gives you the option of choosing an array of different auto insurance coverage packages. Our agents can conduct proper research regarding the available options. Before narrowing down one, this is most suitable and affordable for your personal needs.

each state has a minimum you must carry, but these are min. for instance the state i live in only requires 10k for property damage...that's not nearly can't hardly get a good used car for 10k anymore...this min. would mean : you are at fault and the damage you caused to the other vehicle (or vehicles/fences etc..all damage caused from one accident to the property of others) was say 15k (not uncommon), your policy would/could only pay 10k and now you are left with 5k to pay... so you need to review it carefully, i personally have 50k on property damage, and 100/300k on bodily injury and uninsured motorist...what both of those coverages are: 100k (limit) per person and 300k per accident for any injuries i cause (under the bodily injury coverage) and same for uninsured motorist..that coverage pays for the injuries caused by an uninsured motorist.......clear as mud right?

Uninsured drivers become subject to license and vehicle registration suspension when accident damages amount to:

After an automobile accident the automobile insurance carrier will usually raise the rates of the liability 7-10% depending on the severity of the accident.

If you were involved in an accident with this person then their insurance information will be listed on the accident report. If you were not involved in an accident then it is not your business who they have insurance with. Much of this is covered by the privacy laws so if you really have to know ask the person.

It depends on who and was injured in the accident, who received injuries and what property damage was received. Although it differs from state-to-state many states require (UM)Uninsured Motorist coverage as well as liability insurance.Under Illinois law, you are required to have car insurance Liability limits of at least 20/40/15. What does this mean? It means:$20,000 per person, for bodily injury you cause,$40,000 per accident, for bodily injury, and$15,000 per accident, for damage to another's property, usually their car.Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Limits of:$20,000 per person,$40,000 per accident.These are just the minimums and most drivers carry limits much higher then this. If the other driver is injured he is covered up to $20,000 per person and $40,000 per occurrence. In all actuality, the other driver's property and injury will be covered by his insurance.(The UM portion of the policy) However, this does not stop the insurance company from trying to recover the money it paid out from the liable party. This is called subrogation; the insurance company could sue you(if you were found liable) to recover damages to property and bodily injury that you caused.Although it is estimated that 18-24% of drivers are uninsured, it is illegal and dangerous. If you were in an accident and caused damages you may have to pay civil and criminal damages and wind up paying for the rest of your life or spend time in prison.If your car is registered, random checks are done to make sure people have auto insurance. If you don't carry proof of auto insurance and you are stopped by Illinois law enforcement, your license plates get suspended and you will receive a minimum $500 fine for driving uninsured, not to mention it then goes on your driving record and then you have to pay $100 reinstatement fee once you do get properly insured again. If you continue driving uninsured and get stopped, you get a minimum $1,000 fine for driving a vehicle while the license plates were suspended for a previous insurance violation, and a minimum 4 month suspension plus $100 reinstatement fee. Lastly, while the plates are suspended, no one may drive that vehicle.

Yes! Good thing you bought this extra coverage. Its actually uninsured motorists and underinsured motorists. It also depends on how much you bought. I hope you also have uninsured motorists property damage, because you have to buy bodily injury and property damage separately.

Responsibility for Hit and Run DamageThe driver and the owner of the vehicle being driven are both jointly and separately responsible (liable) for the damage caused. Since it was a hit and run, I assume no coverage on their part. If you have Full coverage Insurance or at least uninsured motorists, then your policy will cover the loss. A police report is recommended.If you have uninsured motorist coverage included on your policy, it should cover this damage. It could depend upon on policy language and state law, your collision coverage will also cover your damages minus any applicable deductible. If covered through the uninsured motorists portion of your policy, in most U.S. states there is no deductible on uninsured motorists claims but this may vary depending on your local regulations and the policy options you chose when you purchased your Automobile Insurance.Deductibleswhile you can choose varying amounts for your deductible, which will influence your premium amount, the amount you pay toward your damages due to an uninsured motorist does NOT change, allowing you to influence your premium amount. Additionally, because it was paid under Uninsured Motorist coverage, it will be clear to any potential NEW carrier, that this was NOT an at fault accident. And to further complicate matters, with some insurance carriers, you could possibly be required to identify the hit-run driver in order to trigger the UM coverage. (license plate, year/make/model/color, etc. You may not have to have name, rank, & serial number.).More Information:This is a good question, particularly since it's such a frustrating thing. The best way to look at it is this: Your deductible has nothing to do with liability. Rather, your deductible relates to the rates you pay for insurance, and how much of the damages you are willing to absorb out-of-pocket. Your insurance carrier considers your deductible the amount you agreed to pay in any accident, regardless of fault and assuming your carrier is paying for damages to your vehicle. For instance, say you're sitting at a red light, and a drunk driver comes up behind you and rear ends your vehicle. Obviously, you're not at-fault for that; however, if you choose to go through your own insurance, you'll still be required to pay your deductible when you have your vehicle repaired. Unfortunately, unlike an accident in which the other driver is known, your insurance company can't go after a hit-and-run driver (this is called "subrogation," which most insurance companies are happy to pursue when they can because they want their money back, too). So, unless your insurance policy waives deductibles for hit-and-run accidents (which is rare), you'll be paying.Be careful about reporting this if the damage is minimal. Someone dented my truck overnight in a parking lot. I reported it to my insurance company, the repair was $526. I paid the $500 deductible, and they paid the $26. About 4.5 years later, I'm shopping for new insurance, and the insurance companies are adding about $130/6-months because of that 'accident'.EXACTLY.. (referring to the last post).. I was in a hit and run, my car was totaled. My own insurance company paid me $5,196 for my dead Honda Civic (RIP). But the pay out was from my collision insurance. SO... that claims record shows up when I try to shop around to other insurance companies... even though my carrier (GEICO) coded the accident as me being NOT at fault... the other companies don't care! They see your claims history, and their risk algorithms return higher rates! It's crap!Again, this is inevitably an insurance adjuster ploy. The only legitimate reason for which an adjuster may ask for such information is when an insured damages their own car and claims that the cause was another car which forced them off the road but did not actually strike their vehicle. (known in the trade as a "phantom" driver claim).In the UK - the driver of the vehicle which causes the hit and run and in turn his motor insurance. If however the driver cannot be found or is uninsured when found the Motor Insurer Bureau will meet your claims for vehicle damage and injury compensation. see the related link entitled "hit and run accident" for more details on how to recover compensation in the UK.The question is, 'who's responsible for hit and run damage?', The 'runner' would be responsible of course, but if they 'ran' chances are they may not be caught and thus made responsible for their actions. Hopefully the victim got a license plate (if that were possible and not just hit while parked and no one around to witness this accident) and this can be traced either thru their local law enforcement agency or their states DMV.If you have collision coverage you can file the claim, and have your vehicle repaired (subject to your deductible) your company will attempt to subrogate the guilty party, recouping your deductible and their payout (if information on fleeing vehicle is available).You do not say which state you are in, so I couldn't check that states requirements or coverage definitions directly, however I think it needs to be clarified that uninsured motorist coverage (in all but very few states that mandate UM also includes UMPD), will ONLY cover injuries and costs associated with the injury caused by a negligent uninsured driver. Uninsured motorist property damage coverage, is NOT a required, but rather optional coverage that (unfortunately), most people neither know about or have. Will cover the physcial damage to your vehicle caused by a negligent uninsured driver subject to the deductible. Most people however would not see the necessity of carrying UMPD if they have collision coverage. There is no deductible for uninsured motorist coverage.I have been in the insurance industry for 11 years now in the state of VA. I am aware that coverages in each state are different but uninsured and under-insured motorist typically doe includes BI and PD. On an insurance policy the uninsured motorist bodily injury and property damage is written at the same limits as the liability coverage on the policy. Lower uninsured/under-insured coverages can be requested if a form is signed stating that the insured does not want the limits to match. Also, uninsured motorist does come with a deductible depending on your state so the above statement that uninsured motorist coverage does not have a deductible is false. Most uninsured motorist claims are subject to a $200 deductible. Be cautioned when filing a uninsured/under-insured motorist claim as you may see the insurance company pay out a small amount under this coverage and then pin the rest under collision. This is when it becomes a problem of proving fault. Whenever a claim is paid out under collision it is considered at fault and it is like pulling teeth to prove otherwise to an insurance company. Take it from me, I have a hit while parked and $300 was paid under uninsured/under-insured motorist and $1400 was paid under collision and every insurance company is listing this as a chargeable at fault claim which holds a surcharge for 3 years on an insurance policy.Another view: At least in the US, "hit and run" is a term typically used in property damage claims. Further, it is use in the context of an individuals car being hit by an unknown person and the latter leaving the scene after causing the damage. The victim's car may have been occupied or not.If the victim is insured, he/she should be sure to get a police report to document the occurrence. Since such reports are made after the (the officer did not see the occurrence), the report serves the purpose of documenting the occurrence for later action. If the victim had physical damage coverage on the vehicle, this will be just about the only was to give any credence to the claim. All other things being equal, the insurer should pay for the reasonable cost of repair subject to the terms of the policy.If the vehicle that was hit was occupied and the occupant(s) sustained compensable injuries under the law of the jurisdiction, they may be entitled to recover under the uninsured motorist coverage of the policy. In such a case, they would have to prove the "value" of their injury in much the same way that they would in a third-party claim. Again, it is important that the occurrence be documented, including by a timely police report.

You get auto insurance for accident prone drivers the same way as normal drivers. You will need to provide relevant car details and your driving history information and then receive insurance policy quotes. Insurance premiums for accident prone drivers are generally much higher.