Debt and Bankruptcy
Credit and Debit Cards
Bankruptcy Law

How soon before filing bankruptcy can you stop paying credit cards?

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2009-11-06 21:42:34

You need to notify the Credit company, once you've done that you may suspend payments.

User Avatar

Your Answer

Related Questions

No, you can't get out of paying a student loan by filing bankruptcy.

There isn't a set amount of time that one needs to wait to apply for credit after filing bankruptcy. Some experts actually suggest that one tries right away to obtain a credit card. Keeping the balance low and paying a percentage every month without fully paying off the debt will help rebuild damaged credit.

No. You should use your funds to pay your secured debts, such as home mortgage or car loan, if you intend to keep it after filing for bankruptcy

No. Child support is usually non-dischargeable.

Besides paying your debts off or filing bankruptcy if you are unable to pay off these debts there is nothing you can really do to clear them from your credit report. Most debts stay on your credit report for seven years.

Pay everything else with credit and use your money to pay off student loans, then file bankruptcy. Although that would ruin your life as filing bankruptcy does the exact opposite of what you think it does, your better off dodging student loans and paying off all other debt first.

Your bankruptcy has noting to do with your tenant. If you were not filing, he would still owe you the rent.

There are several steps involved in claiming bankruptcy. Some of these include: finding and contacting a licensed trustee, applying for bankruptcy, and paying the subsequent court fees associated with filing a bankruptcy.

Fraud is likely never the correct term...but NOT paying is never a problem...paying any bill, which may be construed as paying someone preferentially, is a problem and may be challenged in thr BK.

Yes. Since the "Car Sales Company" went into bankruptcy, your financial agreement with your "Creditor" (bank, credit card, credit union, etc...) has not dissolved the loan. Check with your creditor (who you send your monthly to?) and/or continue paying for your car. This will help you keep your own personal credit in good standing.

Yes, by paying the back payments. Also, filing bankruptcy prior to the foreclosure will normally put a hold on the foreclosure proceedings.

sure you can, but you will loose new car when u file bankruptcy anyway.also need more than just a car payment to file bankruptcy. laws have changed to prevent people filing bankrupcy just to dodge paying there bills

I would say taking out small loans and paying them off before too much interest has accumulated. Apply for a credit card, buy something, then pay it off on your first statement.

It is quite difficult to get credit after bankruptcy because after one declares bankruptcy one has to be significantly behind one ones bills to be able to do so. However after this one should be able to build their credit back up by paying things on time and not applying for loans.

No. Credit card debt is a civil liability. Only credit card fraud, or paying with a bad check, could subject you to criminal prosecution. You could face loss of credit or even involuntary bankruptcy, though, and that is not good.

The period of time after bankruptcy is like starting over in the credit world. You need to act squeeze clean. Get a new card and pay your bills on time paying the full balance.

The bankruptcy will still be reported on your credit file for up to ten years however, it will denote that the car loan was paid off. So to answer the question wil it raise your credit score. The answer is no.

A company can continue to hound you for their money until the debt is satisfied or until you retain an attorney for bankruptcy.

Been paying a credit card under a payment agrement the company sold on the debt to another company and the have sent a letter and a draft of a bankruptcy order for the full amount!

You can dispute a bankruptcy to the credit bureaus. This gives them 30 days to verify it with the courthouse that filed it or it must removed from your credit report. This would only be the bankruptcy, not the items included in bankruptcy. You would have to dispute them separately. Answer No, a bankruptcy cannot be removed if you actually had one and it was discharged. Rather, it will "time out" after a set number of years. You can recover some credibility after a couple of years of paying accounts as agreed.

Student loans from any lender are not usually dischargeable in bankruptcy. They will temporarily stop collection during the proceedings, but interest will continue to accrue.

Good question. It is important to know what you have to continue doing and what you are discharged of in bankruptcy and also to familiarize yourself with the different types of bankruptcy and their differences Generally speaking, if you are filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy then the majority of your debt will be discharged and you would not have to pay back your creditors. If you are filing for chapter 13 bankruptcy then you likely would but under your repayment plan you would probably be paying less that you originally are.

One's credit score is in a constant state of flux because any change in the credit report results in the bureau automatically recalculating your credit score. In general, assuming that one is not actively looking for new credit, is paying off their existing credit lines on time, is not growing balances and is not filing for bankruptcy, your score will change in a minor way every two-to-three (2-3) months.

No! Most definitely not. Bankruptcy is not an allowable defense against a charge of income tax evasion. However, if what you meant to say is whether or not you can avoid paying delinquent taxes through the filing of a bankruptcy petition then the answer becomes yes, with certain limitations and rules.

If there is a judgment in a court for the IRS debt, you do not need to file a motion to include it in your bankruptcy. If the tax due was determined more than 3 years before the filing date, you include it in your Schedule F. If you have already filed your bankruptcy documents, you need to file a motion to amend Schedule F with the bankruptcy court. If the case has been closed, you will need to reopen the case, paying the filing fee, and then your motion to add the debt.

Copyright ยฉ 2021 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.