History, Politics & Society
Citizenship and Marriage

How would the authorities find out if a US citizen is paid to marry an immigrant?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-07-14 19:34:04
2006-07-14 19:34:04

By interviewing the couple separately and asking a lot of questions even some that may not seem relevant to the issue. By requesting supporting documents, such as bank account statements, tax returns, proof of residence, utility bills, and of course marriage documents, interviewing neighbors and co-workers, and on and on and on.


Related Questions

The same thing that would happen to a citizen, the person will be taken into custody by authorities and jailed in a local and/or state and/or federal facility. The difference between the citizen and the immigrant obviously would be that after the unlawfully present immigrant has served the imposed sentence(s) he or she will be deported and permanently barred from entering the U.S.

No. The marriage would not be allowed. Also, marrying a US citizen regardless of the circumstances does not prevent an illegal immigrant from being deported.

I believe that you're guaranteed a citizenship when you marry a citizen, but being an illegal complicates the matter.

Marrying a US citizen would only reduce the amount of time you need to live in the US from 5 years to 3 years.

If you mean can the elder perform the marriage ceremony of a US citizen JW with a JW who is an illegal immigrant in the US then assuming that it is not illegal to do so then I would also assume that it is allowable.

That depends on where you settle in. If you settle into a place that would make you a citizen, then you're a citizen. If you settle into a place that wouldn't make you a citizen, then you're not a citizen. If you are asking if you marry an illegal immigrant then they wouldn't be deported. If fact its their ticket to the USA. If you are a foreigner and have a child here that child no matter your citizenship is a US citizen. Its why "they" hop the border and have kids. The mother then has access to the US because the child is a citizen. If you're short on cash, marry one. Sometimes they'll pay you.

IF YOU MARRY A MEXICAN, HE DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY BECOME AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. THE ONLY THING THAT MARRAIGE ESTABLISHES WHEN YOU MARRY A MEXICAN IS PERMANENT RESIDENT ALIEN STATUS FOR HIM. HE CAN ONLY KEEP THIS IF YOU REMAIN MARRIED FOR A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF YEARS. IF HE WISHES TO BECOME A CITIZEN, HE MUST TAKE THE TEST AND PASS. I married an illegal Mexican immigrant and I was told by an immigration officer that he can be deported until we have been approved for a visa number, but that some immigration officers will be lenient if the immigrant has papers with him showing that the process is underway.

Even though that would be possible under British laws, the marriage wouldn't be recognized as legal in France.

The prisoner would need to obtain permission to marry and it would be highly unlikely that such permission would be granted. If allowed, marriage to a US citizen would not prevent the foreign national from being deported once he has served the imposed sentence.

You can but that person would not become legal because you marry them!

u can marry whoever u want, as long as ur in love with that person. otherwise u would have made a huge mistake.

Assuming that it is not illegal to do so then I would also assume that it is allowable.

Firstly, if the person is married in an another country and has come to a particular country illegally it is surely invalid to marry the person. Another thing, if the person is a citizen of that particular country in which he has married it is his right to first take a citizen of that country in which he is going to marry and then he can marry a person another to his own country.

you would have to apply for a citizen ship. which requires a citizenship test and a lot of other aspects

yes If so then what steps would l being a us citizen need to follow after we marry in the us?

Your marriage ill be investigated when you apply for citizen ship, and if they find that you just married for citizenship, you will get deported and your spouse ill go to jail.

These courses are available to anyone in the public who would like to enroll in individual courses. Each class can be taken one of three ways. We have two credit/unit choices, and a non-credit option. It just depends on the desired paperwork you want/need behind the class.

If the immigrant entered ILLEGALLY, then there is ABSOLUTELY a chance of deportation, even with marriage to citizen and anchor baby. The only exception would be if immigrant filed a I-130 before Arpil 2001 while living inside the country.

No it does not make him a citizen, but it you may sponser him for citizenship if you wish.

In the majority of US states it is no longer possible for an illegal immigrant to marry a US citizen. If the marriage was allowed to take place the issue of disability on the part of either person would have no bearing as the illegal immigrant would still not be eligible for resident status. He or she would be required to voluntarily return to his or her country of origin or be forceable detained and deported. Exceptions are made in some cases where an immigrant can be classified as being an asylee or refugee.

i would like to apply for my parentsto get immigrant visa. im a us citizen, how long it wil take?

It is no longer possible for a citizen to apply for permanent residency/ citizenship for an immigrant spouse who entered the U.S. illegally. (INA Sect: 212(a)(9)(B) and 8 USC 1182(a)(9)(B). Marrying a U.S. citizen does not automatically confer permanent resident status or citizenship on a foreign national. Therefore, marrying the person would not solve the problem of her being unlawfully present. She would be required to voluntarily return to her country of origin or be deported by authorities. Specific information can be found on the United States Citizenship and Immigration website, http://www.uscis.gov

Yes, they do. Why would an immigrant need to talk to INS about a marriage? Immigrant means they are already residing in the US legally as a immigrant.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.