Home Electricity
New Electrical Work
Modification of Old Electrical Work

How would you connect the wires to a 60A panel installed in a detached garage from a 200A panel in the house?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2011-09-12 20:36:11
2011-09-12 20:36:11

Assuming garage is detached less than 80 ft away. You need a 60 AMP double pole breaker for the 200 AMP house panel, and need to have two spare slots. Additionally you should have conduit in running in ground, and have #4/3 W/ground Stranded cable running to the sub panel. This setup will allow for 110V's and a 220V circuit. Connect the two hots, Red/Black to the Breaker on your servicing the panel. Connect the neutral (White) to the Neutral bus bar along with the Ground wire. Sub panel on detached Garage. Attach the White neutral wire to the Neutral ground bar. Attach the ground to the ground bar on the Sub panel. Pull the permits and have it inspected!

If your house has the wires from the meter going straight into your panel box then you tie the neutral and ground to the same busbar. However;

If you havve a disconnect on the outside of your house then you must separate the neutral andground inside the 200 amp panel box. This is usually prevalent on a mobile home or any time the pnel box you are using is fed from another panel or disconnect.


Related Questions

User Avatar

Short answer is Yes. If a garage conversion is carried out you no longer own a link detached house but a semi-detached, indeed if the next house did the same thing you would then live in a terriced house not a link detached

User Avatar

A link detached house is a house that is only joined to another by a garage or just ground flor rom :(((((

User Avatar

A semi detached house has one side of the house that will be attached to another house. A detached house has no shared walls. Most semi detached houses have the garage wall as the shared wall so there is less noise heard from either house.

User Avatar

Adjacent detached properties which do not have a party wall, but which are linked by the garage(s) and so forming a single frontage.

User Avatar

All depends on what type of equipment you are going to operate in the garage. I would suggest you call an electrician. You can connect to your existing 100 amp circuit if there is an empty spot for a breaker.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.