Student Loans and Financial Aid
Taxes and Tax Preparation
Income Taxes

I'm a grandmother who wants to help pay tuition for her granddaughter to graduate school. What are my tax liabilities?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2007-04-30 06:01:31

I'm not sure what you mean about your tax liabilities, but you

can give $12000 per year to any individual without triggering the

gift tax. So, you could contribute that amount to your

granddaughter to apply towards tuition. I'm not aware that there

would be any problems if you paid the tuition bills yourself

either. Tell her to contact the school's financial aid office.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.