Children and the Law
Child Support

If a 16-year-old runs away from their custodial parent to live with their non-custodial parent can they be forced to return home?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2005-10-09 02:14:59
2005-10-09 02:14:59

Yes they can. Depending on what state you are in, the legal age has changed from 18 to 17. 17 year olds are considered an adult in Georgia. Not sure of any other state, then they can do what they want. Not in the sense that the police can come and take the minor into custody and return them to the custodial parent. Before action can be taken the custodial parent will either need to file a report with the police that the child is a victim of parental abduction (it is not relevant if the child went willingly). Or the custodial parent will have to file a petition with the court to have the child returned to their custody, in which case the other parent will likely be charged with a contempt of a court order. In regards to Georgia amending the age of majority law to seventeen, that is not quite correct. Georgia has taken the same action that several states have, in that they have amended the juvenile code to designate a seventeen years old as an "adult". This gives the court the power to have said "adult" adjudicated on the same level for most criminal infractions. It also gives the court the power to grant early emancipation rights to those individuals who meet the specified criteria. Therefore, the actual legal age of majority still remains at eighteen (18).


Related Questions

what if the noncustodial parent still reside with the custodial parent, is noncustodial parent still obligated to pay childsupport

If the noncustodial parent tries to keep the child, the custodial parent can get the noncustodial parent charged with kidnapping and contempt of court both can be jail time for the noncustodial.

Yes. The marital status of the custodial parent change does not change the obligation of the noncustodial parent.

A noncustodial parent can prevent the custodial parent from leaving the state with a baby or child. The court will decide if the custodial parent has just cause to leave the state.

Generally the noncustodial parent may move anywhere - within or outside the state where the children live. The court grants the noncustodial parent the right to visit the children but does not force the noncustodial parent to take advantage of that right. However, a court may require the noncustodial parent to provide the custodial parent with contact information and, where issues develop about the care or safety of the children, the court may require supervised visitation or at least that the noncustodial parent advise the custodial parent where the children will be.

This is hard to answer because there can be many variables involved. The noncustodial parent may contest the move and take the custodial parent to court to show cause. But it may not be possible for the noncustodial parent to actually prevent the move unless the move is out of state.

A custodial parent is obligated to let the non-custodial visit the child if there is visitation schedule in place. If there is none, it is not illegal for the custodial parent to refuse visitation.

If there is no court mandated agreement that ensures the noncustodial parent visitation rights, then yes they can.

Only if the noncustodial parent becomes the custodial parent and gets a judgment to this effect.

If the vehicle belongs to the non-custodial parent and it was the vehicle involved in the accident, then the non-custodial parent's insurance will have to cover the damages and is completely liable for anything that happens with his/her car.

possibly, unless the non custodial parent isn't responsible enough to take care of the kid

Unless visitation rights for the non-custodial parent were allowed in the divorce paperwork, the custodial parent is completely within their rights to deny the non-custodial parent visitation....however, the non-custodial parent may sue for visitation rights.

No they can not. The key here is the "custodial parent" . You may be able to go to court. But if you keep the child and you are not the custodial parent and there is a court order saying the other parent is the custodial parent, all that person has to do is call the police, and the non custodial parent would have to give up the child.

If you live in the US.... No. A non-custodial parent can be forced to pay child support, but they cannot be forced to visit.

The obligation should not end, but rather transferred to the now nun-custodial parent.

No the custodial parent has to have either the courts permission or the non-custodians permission.

A noncustodial parent cannot sign his rights over to his parents or voluntarily terminate his parental rights. He needs the permission of the court and the custodial parent.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.