Citizenship and Marriage
US Constitution

If a US citizen marries a non US citizen for money to establish residency what kind of penalties are waiting for the US citizen if caught?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-09-28 14:13:37
2010-09-28 14:13:37

Jail for the citizen, deportation for the illegal alien.

User Avatar

Related Questions

Only if you apply to become a Canadian citizen. Once you get residency in Canada you can apply for provincial healthcare.

Careful of status, you passport says single, might not be allowed in.But in USA get married get papers fixed first.Married my wife almost 40 years ago, been interesting 🤔

Yes you can but you need to do it soon, you will need to answer lots of questions for how and why you entered the country illegally but they should let you in the country

No rights gained, save for the ability to legalize your residency status if the immigrant entered the country LEGALLY.

Yes. When a non-citizen marries a U.S. citizen, s/he can then apply for US permanent residency. It is important to note that you cannot marry someone solely to obtain a green card as that is considered fraud (though, for the most part, it is the government's burden to show fraud, not your burden to show it isn't). A Canadian citizen married to a US citizen should have a simple time getting the required permanent residency visa, though you still must fill out the proper immigration forms and follow the rules to the letter, as NOTHING is automatic.

Yes. There are criminal penalties for a person who knowingly marries again without divorcing their spouse.Yes. There are criminal penalties for a person who knowingly marries again without divorcing their spouse.Yes. There are criminal penalties for a person who knowingly marries again without divorcing their spouse.Yes. There are criminal penalties for a person who knowingly marries again without divorcing their spouse.

Once you are officially married to an American citizen, you can not be deported from the country, unless you engage in a criminal offense.

Nope, both need to learn new words in English and both to drive on the wrong side of the road for each other?

No, the UK citizen would not become a US citizen. First the UK citizen would have to apply through INS for a work permit and perminent residency. The work permit will be issued within month (probably), but perminent residency could take 18 months or more; during which time the applicant would be expected to remain and work in the US (short overseas visits sometimes permitted). Once perminent residency has been established a 'green card' will be issued and 3-5 years after this the immigrant can apply for US citizenship.

No. The person is still subject to the terms of the visa. If the person with the work visa marries a US citizen, it shortens the residency period needed to apply for naturalization, but still does not automaticaly change the visa.

No, they do not become a citizen by virtue of marriage.

No, marrying a U.S. citizen does not automatically convey permanent residency or citizenship. The proper procedures for obtaining resident status will need to be followed by the non-citizen, the issue of a criminal record may play a significant part in a decision by the USICS. (

Marriage is a wonderful event. Yes, if a female US citizen legally marries a non US citizen in the state of Michigan, they are indeed legally married.

The resident would need to wait until becoming a US citizen until filing for residency for the illegal alien spouse.

They can stay here. When a green card holder marries a US citizen, he/she gets to share the benefits enjoyed by the US citizen. The US citizen can also file in for the green card holder's citizenship application.

They will become an American citizen

no they have 2 take the test im from there you would have to take a citizenship test. ----------- Much like in the U.S., a foreigner first needs to apply to become a legal resident. Then after 2 years of uninterrupted residency, the person is allowed to apply for citizenship.

No, she is not. She will be allowed to remain in the US with her spouse and children, but she will have to apply for citizenship separate from her marriage. The US citizen REMAINS a US citizen. The immigrant remains an immigrant and must follow the legal path to resident immigrant status, and from there to citizenship. Marriage is not a free pass to residency or citizenship.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.