Citizenship and Marriage

If a legal resident marries an illegal resident can the illegal resident get residency?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-02-03 16:03:20
2006-02-03 16:03:20

The illegal foreign national will still be required to follow the prescribed USCIS procedures. This could mean the person will be required to leave the U.S. and then apply for a visa for reentrance. A foreign national whether illegal or not is not automatically granted permanent residency or citizenship status by marriage to a U.S. citizen. Marriage will sometimes (but not always) change the priority status given to an applicant's request. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services,

User Avatar

Related Questions

Yes, If a non Legal resident marries a Legal resident,he or she are judged to be Legal resident of that country. They can have their Spouse VISA.So that can make them live happily and together forever.

No, marrying a US citizen or a permanent resident does not grant the illegal immigrant legal status regardless of whether there is a child involved or not.

You can help an illegal alien become legal by helping them fill out the appropriate applications for residency and paying the needed fees. This will put them on the right track to becoming a legal resident or citizen.

There is no such thing, if you're illegal you do not have legal permanent residency.

If there was illegal entry, then no, marriage doesnt make you a legal resident. You would need to file a 130 petition along with a I-601 waiver at the U.S. embassy/consulate in HONDURAS, and you would be required to appear there. If you had legal entry, then it would be possible to get legal residency through marriage to a citizen.

No, marrying a U.S. citizen does not automatically convey permanent residency or citizenship. The proper procedures for obtaining resident status will need to be followed by the non-citizen, the issue of a criminal record may play a significant part in a decision by the USICS. (

you are considered a legal resident once you are 18 you are considered a legal resident once you are 18 you are considered a legal resident once you are 18 you are considered a legal resident once you are 18 you are considered a legal resident once you are 18 you are considered a legal resident once you are 18 you are considered a legal resident once you are 18 you are considered a legal resident once you are 18 you are considered a legal resident once you are 18 you are considered a legal resident once you are 18 Age of majority maintaining residency in the state

Not without becoming a legal alien. Which usually requires returning to their home country and applying for a marriage visa.

Unfortunately, legal residency is required for most scholarships. I do not believe there are any scholarships specifically targeted for illegal immigrants, as legal residency is also required for attendance at college.

iam an American sitizen,but my spouse is illegal resident. how can i help her get lawful papers?

You become a resident of California by LIVING in California, this has nothing to do with marriage or legal status- an illegal can be a resident of California

no. the mom should be a legal resident before she cliams child suport.

No if the marriage is only for becoming legal. The person who marries an illegal to make them legal is breaking federal laws, can be arrested, and serve prison time. The illegal will be deported.

In the UK and Ireland a 'marriage of convenience' as this would be called is illegal.

Your parent has no bearing on you getting residency, unless you were born in the country.

No, not citizenship, but a legal resident can petition a sibling for legal residency- but the sibling will have to wait in their home country many years (anywhere from 10-20 years)before being allowed legal entry in the U.S. Since you mention a legal resident, a legal resident can only petition a sibling if the sibling is SINGLE. If the sibling is married then you CANNOT file such a petition. If the sibling is single when you file the petition but subsequently gets married, you are required to inform the U.S. government- which would result in the petition being automatically VOIDED. If you know this and do not tell the government- then this would be considered fraud- putting your own legal residency and potential residency of the sibling at risk.

Yes, the mother and the children are all still illegal aliens. ~REVISE~ Does not mean that they can not become legal. Marriage never make a person legal to live in the united states, but depending on the National Orgin of the immigrant there is apossibility that they can get residency here.

yes you can when the child turns 21 you can file for your papers

It is a legal marriage in the US. It is not a claim to legal residency for visitor or undocumented alien though. The laws of the visitors and undocumented aliens country of origin will mandate whether it is a legal marriage there.

In depends on what country you are talking about. In the US, they won't get one just because they are married. They will have to go through the same process as if they were not married. It doesn't bode well for a happy marriage.

You must file for his Residency with the INS. If you are a US citizen you can file for his residency. However, if he entered in an illegal manner and is at the present an illegal alien be sure he can aply for residency under some amnesty. An amnesty is a legal exemption to qualify immigrants that would otherwise not qualify for residency. I am an attorney in Puerto Rico. My practice is mainly focused on the southwestern area of the island. If you have any legal questions don't hesitate to contact me.Lcdo. Raul Rojasasesorialegalpr@gmail.comOr you can visit my web atwww.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.