Asked in
Children and the Law
Child Support

If an unmarried father chooses not to pay child support does he still have rights to child in CA?


User Avatar
Wiki User
July 14, 2011 1:28PM

An unmarried father cannot "choose" to not pay child support. The laws in every state require that a father pay for the support of his child. The mother must bring an action to the appropriate court so that a child support order can be established. Visitation rights are separate and a father can have visitation rights established by the court. Visitation rights are not dependent on paying child support.