Appliance Voltage and Travel Issues

If someone bought an electrical appliance in the US would it work in the UK given US appliances use 120V and UK use 240V?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-10-29 02:04:40
2015-10-29 02:04:40

I was a US Government employee. Me and my family were sent to England where we resided for 7 years. We shipped all our household goods with us including all our US electrical appliances. Once there, we purchased transformers which come in various wattage ratings. The transformer actually converts the 220voltage down to the required 120 volts for US products. Anything with a motor would only be turning at 50 cycles a second vise the 60 cycles of US current. This would only affect the playing speed of say a record player (obselete now) but radios, toasters, coffee pots or anything of that nature would work fine. Hope this has helped.

You need a transformer, as mentioned above.

Note that for running UK appliances in the US that is not necissarily true, as the US has 120/240V service. You'd just need a special outlet for your 240V appliances.


Some, but by no means all, electronic appliances have 110/240V switches to allow use on either system.


Related Questions

You plug the appliance into the outlet. Israel uses 220-volt household current. Any 110-volt appliances brought from abroad will need a small transformer, which can be bought in appliance stores.

The one that you unplug and do not use. No one can safely say that any one appliance, or type of appliance uses the least electricity as there is no single standard for power consumption of these appliances; beyond general requirements. I recently bought a 3 watt nightlite for 3 bucks. Gotta be the least user of all appliances.

You can purchase household appliance insurance from many places. Typically, the manufacturer provides a 1+ year warranty for appliances. However, the store you bought your appliance from may also provide extended warranties.

In the UK the fuse is a cartridge fuse in the 3-pin plug. Fuses of 3, 5 and 13 amps can be bought in most hardware stores and supermarkets, and fuses of 1, 7 and 10 amps can also be bought. The fuse depends on the appliance.

An energy meter measures the amount of energy used on an electrical circuit. Inline energy meters can be bought which plug into the socket and then an appliance is plugged into the meter, which thereafter records the amount of power and energy used by the appliance.

The easiest thing to do is use the appliances one at a time. If you need to use them simultaneously, then the ONLY safe way to do it is to have a qualified electrician add a second complete circuit for the second appliance.

The Energy Star certification comes with the appliance from the factory. If it passes all tests for efficiency, it is Energy Star Rated. If it doesn't it isn't. You can't get an Energy Star rating for an appliance that left the factory without one. It isn't something that can be bought, it can only be earned.

Different system, US uses 110 volt. I think India uses 230 or 240 volt.

True refrigerators can be bought at several places. They can be bought at appliance stores or restaurant supply stores. Dealers can be located by putting in your zip code on True's website.

Energy effeicient appliances can be bought at Lowe's Home Improvement Store. They can also be bought only through the Tractor Supply Store's website.

If you are looking to purchase a Liebherr brand refrigerator, you can purchase one from US Appliance, Newegg, Elite Appliance, AJ Madison, and Universal Appliance and Kitchen Center.

A electrical timer can be bought in many stores that provide electrical devices.They can also be bought second-hand on websites that allow you to buy them for cheaper prices.

Android tablets can be bought from shops such as Sears, PC World, Bestbuy and other electrical appliance and computer stores. Alternatively, it could be purchased online from sites such as Amazon or ebay.

Stove appliances can be bought from many different stores and retailers. Some examples of stores that sell stove appliances include Sears Outlet and Bed Bath & Beyond.

All of them! We are taking our all of our kitchen appliances when we are notified of our move out time. I bought them with my own money. The greedy banker didn't.

Oven and hobs can be bought from Tesco, Samsung, and One Shop's websites as well as Appliances Online. Which one of these is best is dependent on your individual needs.

Basically - you're stumped !... If there are explicit instructions with the appliance that you do not use a converter - there is a legitimate reason for NOT doing so ! Your only option is to purchase an equivalent appliance in the country you're going to ! One of the reasons they are telling you you are not to use a converter - is that most US converters are only 2-pin. The appliance you have may need an earth connection to maintain safety.

This largely depends on the appliance you have. Usually, reconditioned appliance don't give warranties but a separate service plan can be bought. I recommend that you contact the company itself for more information.

There are many retailers of food mixering appliances on the highstreet, such as Lakeland, Tesco and Currys. They can also be bought online through Argos or Amazon.

If the appliance tells you how many watts it's supposed to use you can buy a watt-meter to measure how many watts the appliance is using buy plugging in the meter into the wall and then plugging the appliance into the meter. A popular brand is "Kill A Watt", it meter can be bought on E-bay for under $25.

One of the ways electrical appliances can go wrong is to catch on fire because something inside gets damaged in an accident, like being dropped on the floor. The flexible cord or the plug of an appliance may also catch on fire for the same reason, if one or both of them - or the appliance - get damaged or just plain wear out from old age. For that reason it is important, every time just before you use it, to check the condition of the appliance, its flex and its plug. If anything looks worn-out, burnt or frayed, do not use the appliance until the damaged part has been properly repaired or you have thrown the appliance away and bought a new one instead. Also, it is never safe to leave something like an electric iron or an electric kettle switched on, on its own, unattended. The reason for that advice is so that if you see anything like smoke coming out of it, or if an actual fire starts, you will be there to switch it off and disconnect it from the power supply. If it is hot or cold makes no difference to this: it is never safe to leave any electrical appliance on an ironing board, a table or a shelf where it could get pulled off onto the floor if someone catches the flexible cord with their feet by accident. Not only could they get injured from the heavy object falling on their feet - especially a small child - the appliance itself can easily get damaged inside by being allowed to drop onto the floor, so that it catches on fire the next time it is switched on.

Yes but you have to restore any holes that are made in the instalation or removal of the equipment.

Slimline dishwasher can be bought from Sears, Rona, Home Depot, Home Hardware, Lowe's, Canadian Tire, The Bay, Home Supply Outlet and Home Appliance Warehouse.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.