Best Answer

It depends on what state you are in. The state determines how child support is calculated. Now, if you each have 50% residential time with the child, then no support may be due, however, if the child lives primarily with one parent, then the parent that the child is not living with is required to pay child support. The child support amount is usually based on your combined income and is then calculated at a percentage of the total income, for example: If you make $1,000 per month, and the other parent makes $2,000 per month, then you would be responsible for 33% of the child support obligation and the other parent would be responsible for 67% of the child support obligation. If the child support obligation was $200/mo., then you would be responsible for $66/mo., and the other parent $144/mo., therefore, if the child lived primarily with you, the other parent would have to pay you $144/mo. Hope that makes sense for you. Check out your state laws on child support, you can usually find them on the web. Take care.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2015-07-15 19:27:57
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: If the parents each have custody of one of their children is there still a matter of child support paid and if so to whom?
Write your answer...
Still have questions?
magnify glass
Related questions

How do grandparents get custody of grandchildren when both parents are unfit?

When both parents are deemed unfit by a court and social services, it is possible for grandparents to get custody of the children under a judge's order. The grandparents wishing to get custody of minor children should petition a court for a hearing on the matter.

If both parents have 5050 custody of children what happens if one parent becomes incarcerated does that parent lose their custody?

That's up to a judge, but why would it matter?

How do you stop mother moving out of state with the kids?

If there is joint custody of your children then you have a say in where the mother moves too and it would be wise to see a lawyer to deal with this matter so that custodial rights will be fair for both parents and the children.

Is there a matter of child support between two parents with two children when each parent is the custodial parent of one child in Illinois or Indiana?

Child support is a primary issue of Family Court. I assume there are court orders in effect, to some degree, since you have already settled the physical custody situation. It would seem in your case that an equitable agreement of support would not be difficult to make. Although I really don't understand why this would be an issue. The state in which custody was granted, is the state that decides the monetary issues for child support.

What is the difference of custody and guardingship?

I have a legal court order giving me custody of my grandaughter because the parents are unfit, what are my responiblities and do they have any say in the matter and no visitation was ever set/ not does the father pay child support, he refuses to work and doesnt get locked up . can you help me with some answers?

Can a 16 year old move out of parents house into grandparents without their parents consent?

If the matter was taken to a court, the parents would most likely win custody.

Can a grandma get child support from a mom and dad who don't care for their children?

Any grandparent(s) who are the primary caregivers for their grandchildren or any child of the family and not living in the same residence as the children's parents is entitled to be reimbursed for the care of those children. To be eligible for such support the grandparent must be able to show the court that the caregiving of the children is done from necessity and not just a "family matter". Or the grandparent(s) may file a petition for custody if that has not yet been done, if custody is granted, child support will be ordered as well. Contact the clerk of the circuit court in the county of residence for more information on the laws of the state in which you reside and filing procedures. Or contact the state's department of family and childrens services.

In California if father has primary physical custody and both parents have joint legal custody can the child choose which parent he wants to live with?

No, legally a minor has no choice in the matter.

Who gets the kids on Easter?

It doesn't matter. Either parent can get custody of the children wether it's Easter or not.

Who intercedes for Hester in the matter of Pearls custody?

Dimmesdale interceded for Hester in the matter of Pearl's custody.

If your stepdad kicks you out of the house do your parents legally have to support you until you're 18?

Yes. Parents are legally and financially responsible for the support of their minor child/children until said children reach the state's legal age of majority. This does not apply if the child leaves the state of residency without permission from the court in the form of emancipation decree or other change of custody order. The minor should contact the state's department of family services for assistance in this matter. Please be advised, if the minor is not residing with a relative or in a suitable environment with responsible adults, he or she may be taken into custody by authorities and placed in a group or foster home to await a judicial hearing. Parents are not automatically assumed to be guilty of neglect or non-support of their minor children. After the requied investigation,by the assigned state agency, the court will take whatever action it deems to be in the best interest of the minor in question.

Two parents unwed have no child custody agreement can one parent take the child from another parents home legally?

Yes but they can't "legally"keep the parent from seeing the child.There is no custody arrangement so it wouldn't really matter!

People also asked