Court Procedure

If there is not a court order for sole custody of a child and the mother is behind in child support can the father take the child out of the US without permission from the mother or the court?


User Avatar
Wiki User

Obtaining a passport for a minor in the US requires both parents. You'd would have to get a court order giving you custody. *Being granted sole legal custody does not necessarily mean the custodial parent can remove a minor child from the US. If the court grants sole custody to one parent and visitation rights to the non custodial parent permission to take the child out of US would need to be granted by the court. The matter might be the jurisdiction of a state or federal court depending upon the resident or citizenship status of the parents.