Child Support
Retirement Planning
Social Security

If you are 65 and file for your Social Security benefits can you stop paying child support for a 17-year-old who is not your biological child because your ex will also receive SS benefits?



User Avatar
Wiki User

The obligated parent cannot arbitrarily cease court ordered child support regardless of the circumstances. Child support is for the needs of the minor child; that being the case, the custodial parent being eligible for SS benefits is not relevant. Another issue is, why the person is paying support for a non biological child if it does not pertain to adoption? The best option is for the obligated parent to discuss the specific circumstances with a qualified attorney.