Best Answer

You might want to look a little closer at this. Because you said it was a farm, I have the suspicion you're looking at 220v motor circuits. 220v motor circuits, like 220v water heater circuits, do NOT have neutrals. Both sides of the line are hot, and the bare wire is ground like it's supposed to be. This is completely legal, and there's even a plug for it: the NEMA 6 series. (NEMA 6-20 for 20a service, NEMA 6-50 for 50a service and so on.) My favorite part of Leviton's 6 series receptacles is the marking on the box: "Industrial grade." You ever hear of a residential-grade metal lathe? All you can run off this are things that use 220v, and not 110/220 things like dryers and ranges. You could wire a water heater, something with a single-phase 220v motor, or a welder this way. If you need 110v in the barn, you're going to have to move around a bunch of stuff in the box to get the grounds onto a ground bar, or you'll need a separate panel for 110v. If you asked this question because you have no experience of working on the latest household power circuits and you hope to get enough information on this site to be able to do the job properly and safely, it is best to warn you not to rely on getting accurate information from this site about such a potentially dangerous subject.

By asking this question you probably aren't quite ready to take on this particular task.

Really, don't do this one yourself. Electricity is far too dangerous to handle if you have not been trained how to do this work. That you asked this question here shows that you don't already know your local Wiring Codes or Regulations so don't know how to choose the correct wire sizes and types to use for the lengths of run from circuit breakers to power outlets.

How to do this job depends entirely on the Wiring Codes or Regulations for the locality (Town/State) and on the exact location of the appliances you wish to hook up. If they are situated anywhere that is subject to water splashes or spray - such as in any room supplied with running water pipes, like a kitchen, bathroom, shower room, etc., or in a pool-side area - in many places nowadays it is actually illegal to attempt to do this kind of work unless you are already a licensed electrician.

For your safety and that of anyone else who may to use the appliance, ask a professional licensed electrician to advise you or to do the work for you.

As far as I know there is NO applications where a ground is used for anything but a ground.

There is a huge section of the NEC (National Electrical Code) that covers all the rules that cover the "ground" and I can't find any that allow it to be used as a "neutral".

Don't scrimp on the cost of wire, you don't want a burned down barn and a insurance company that won't cover it because you didn't follow the rules.

The plain answer is that you can't! There is no application where you are allowed to use the ground wire in non-metallic sheathed cable as a neutral! The neutral [an identified conductor] MUST BE INSULATED!

(LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer] Electricity is dangerous! You can be injured or killed! Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death! Should you be doing this yourself?) This is one of those questions - if you know this little, you shouldn't be doing what you are planning...

No disrespect intended, but this is SO basic that it suggests you have not studied the subject at all! There are many good reference books and course books to study from.




If you do this work yourself, always turn off the power

at the breaker box/fuse panel BEFORE you attempt to do any work AND

always use an electrician's test meter having metal-tipped probes

(not a simple proximity voltage indicator)

to insure the circuit is, in fact, de-energized.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2009-01-02 02:17:43
This answer is:
User Avatar

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: If you are rewiring an old farm and there are several circuits running 240V on a 12-2 or 10-2 wire using the ground as a neutral for what applications is this ok?
Write your answer...
Related questions

Why should I buy neutral running shoes?

Neutral running shoes are great when the area your walking changes. Asics has a great neutral running shoe. Neutral shoes usually have extra cushioning and and keeps your feet stable.

Where can I buy neutral cushioned running shoes?

There is a site where you can go to look and buy neutral cushioned running shoes. If you go to It a good websites to browse through what kind of neutral cushioned running shoes you want.

What is conflictng application?

Generally conflicting applications are those applications which cause other applications stop running

When the engine is not running current to operate electrical circuits is supplied by what?


What size wire for neutral in a 240v 30 amp circuit?

Answer for USA, Canada and countries running a 60 Hz supply service.240 volt two wire circuits loads do not need a neutral to operate. A three wire 240 volt circuit that needs a neutral, will have a neutral the same size as the current carrying conductors. In this case a #10.

When a computer is running multiple programs the applications running but not currently in use are in the foreground?

Programs that are running but not in use are running in the "background."

Why do applications use up a lot of battery life?

It takes more energy when the applications are running.

Where can I read reviews about some cushioned running shoes online?

You can visit running shoes guru and run and become, you can find a reviews about neutral cushioned running shoes. They will also suggest good quality neutral cushioned running shoes.

Where is the best place to buy neutral running shoes?

FashionTIY is a good place to buy unisex running shoes.

What are the best neutral running shoes for women?

Some of the most highly recommended neutral running shoes for women are as follows; Asics Nimbus Women's Running Shoe, Saucony ProGrid Triumph Women's Running Shoe and the Brooks Glycerin Women's Running Shoe amongst others.

The Taskbar is your gateway to the applications that are on your computer?

Taskbar holds icons for running applications on your system.

What do buzzers do in circuits?

Buzzers in a circuit create a warning and to see if the circuit is running or not.

What neutral running shoes are available?

Neutral running shoes are a scarce commodity because they are few that are produced. But I have site where you can make a choice and book online. Please visit

What are some recommended running shoes?

Running shoes are generally classified into three catagories. Maximum Stability, Stability, and Neutral. The average person would choose Neutral. Examples of Neutral running shoes would be Nike Air Pegasus and Asics Gel-Cumulus which can be found at most footwear retailers.

What are the applications needed in HTML?

No external applications are needed in HTML. Running HTML needs a browser to see the changes.

What is the applications of half wave rectifier?

running a.c motots

Is it bad to put the gear in neutral while the car is running?


Where can I get some neutral cushioned running shoes?

A great place to get neutral cushioned running shoes is a The Running Room. They will not only be able to direct you to this type of shoe but they will also be able to perform a shoe analysis to determine if this form of cushioning is in fact the best for you.

How do you close running applications on dell streak 7?

I use Task manager app to close running application.

Which of the following cannot be performed from the window task manager View what applications are running in the background delete a program from the hard drive open a program check recent CPU usage?

view what applications are running

Can window task manager view applications that are running in the background?

Yes, it can.

What indicates the speed of the computer in running applications?

my clock. it tells me what time it is

How do you put a 2004 Pilot in neutral with the motor turned off?

You cannot put a vehicle in neutral when the motor is turned off. You can put the vehicle in neutral while the motor is running. Then you can turn the vehicle off and the vehicle will remain neutral.

where can I buy running shoes for neutral runners for my brother?

You can buy running shoes for neutral runners in many different places. Online purchases are recommended, for they are cheaper and you do not have to pay sales tax. Check Ebay for the best deals.

Do you check 1994 Mitsubishi galant transmission fluid in nEUtral or park?

in neutral while engine warm and running. be sure to have emergency braake on.

Study guides

Create a Study Guide