Swimming Pools
Pool Care and Cleaning

If you need to shock a salt water pool because of algae do you need to turn the salt system off for awhile?

697071

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2014-06-20 14:27:12
2014-06-20 14:27:12

If you keep all your water balances correct and run the chlorine generator unit properly keeping the Chlorine level of 1.0-3.0 PPM you should never need to shock your pool. I have heard of a few exceptions, but set up and running properly the answer is no. The Chlorine generator shocks the water with chlorine as it goes throught the chlorine generator. One reason for the exception (needing to shock the pool) is not keeping the system runing. Running the sytem 24/7 is recommended (pump and all)

MP macintalkpro@yahoo.com

Shutting the salt system and the pump down defeats the purpose of removing the algae and other contaminants. That is precisely why you elected to install the salt system in the first place. The salt system is designed to shock the pool however, it could not hurt if you add liquid chlorine occasionally especially if you are having algae problems. Running the system 24/7 is unnecessary unless you are having severe algae problems. Cleaning or backwashing the filter on a regular basis will help greatly in the removal of contaminants. A clean D E filter does not work well if it is totally plugged with dirt and debris. Also, if you are having algae problems you may not be running the system long enough 2, 4, 6 hours is not sufficient time to turn the water over. Your salt levels and conditioner levels may not be at adequate levels to be working for you. With algae you will have to superchlorinate and brush the walls and floor to keep the algae away from those surfaces - - let the filter pick up the dead algae as the chlorine kills it.

1
๐Ÿ™
0
๐Ÿคจ
0
๐Ÿ˜ฎ
0
๐Ÿ˜‚
0

Related Questions

User Avatar

Yes. This is a potent chemical. It will kill the algae and turn it brown. Hope you have a good filtration system to filter all the brown out.

User Avatar

No. It takes chorine or non-chlorine shock to kill algae. An algaecide is usually used in conjunction with shock to kill algae.

User Avatar

Shock the water n scrub the algae repeat if neccesary

User Avatar

The length of time it takes for shock bleach to kill algae varies depending on the amount of shock used. Generally, this takes between two and three days.

User Avatar

If your chlorinator is not working or making enough chlorine you can just treat it as an ordinary pool while the adverse conditions prevail. Just use ordinary shock and chlorine.

User Avatar

To shock a pool is to effectively increase the chlorine dosage to the max in order to exterminate a bacterial or algae problem.

User Avatar

This is because it got the water too warm and algae started growing. The warmer the water is just a breeding ground for algae. Get some algae cleaner at your pool store and follow the directions with heavy shock after that. Frustrating!

User Avatar

Shock affects your nervous system, not your musculatory system when you go into shock. It indirectly affects the muscles via the nervous system.

User Avatar

Often when you break a bone, you don't feel it for awhile as you are in shock.

User Avatar

put 1 bag of shock in it and wait 15 mins

User Avatar

System Shock - Doctor Who - was created in 1995.

User Avatar

Algae can be skimmed from the top of the water using a pool skimmer. It can be removed from the sides of the pool using a brush. To prevent algae from growing in the future, a chemical "shock" will be necessary.

User Avatar

Shock is a very active chlorine that is designed to quickly attack and kill microscopic organic growth (algae). When my pool starts to become slightly cloudy and is no longer crystal clear, I know that algae is just starting to grow. When this happens, I know it's time to shock the pool. Algae grows faster in warm water. When my pool temp is 90 degrees I know it will need shock every 7 - 10 days. In the Spring and Fall when the water temp is 65 to 70 I can get by monthly. How often you shock depends on many factors. When I look at my bag, it says to shock once a week and it may have to be done more if there is rain or a lot of swimmers because of bacteria growth. You should test your pool water about 3 times a week and shock as needed.

User Avatar

Hot sun exposure and bacteria in the water form heavy use will do this. Shock with chlorine shock and filter and it will clear up.

User Avatar

Probably algae growth. Use algaecide and A LOT of shock.

User Avatar

Static Shock - 2000 Shock to the System 1-1 was released on: USA: 20 September 2000

User Avatar

Don'Bother with the liquid algae control it will just stain your pool, Use an apropriate amount of liquid chlorine, this will kill the algae at the same time shock your water.

User Avatar

Shock to the System - 2006 is rated/received certificates of: USA:R

User Avatar

they produce an shock because of their nervous system has an feelinng they are getting attacked

User Avatar

Shock Your Pool With Chlorine.Use Of Algaecide To Treat Algae In The Pool.Using Both Algaecide And Shock Treatment Methods.

User Avatar

Shock the pool with chlorine (your Pool shop will tell you how much to add). Run the filter constantly, cleaning as necessary, for a couple of days. Brush pool walls as well. Then install a salt water system and you won't get that algae coming back.

User Avatar

A person can go swimming in a pool a few minutes after adding algae treatment and shock to the water. This is provided that a low dose was used. The manufacturers of the algae treatment recommend that a person waits 45 minutes to an hour to swim after adding a normal dose.

User Avatar

Chlorinate it to the max or shock the pool An get some algaecide into it as wel as well.

User Avatar

The cast of Shock to the System - 1993 includes: Billy Idol as The Metal Man

User Avatar

I am not sure this will remove the algae, but after trying several products to keep the algae from accumulating in my outside fountains, I put shock that is used to clean the pool. It really kept the water clean and free of algae. Of course, you would take precautions if you have pets to insure they do not drink from them. You could try this on your concrete.


Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.