Child Support

If you owe back child support and you claim your new child well you get the money back for that child or do they get that money to?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-01-05 17:43:32
2010-01-05 17:43:32

Question isn't clear, but the State will take your entire tax refund, except for the part attributable to your spouse.

User Avatar

Related Questions

There are programs in force that wll direct your refund to be applied to your back child suppport..hard to tell if your on the list of one. Of course, it's what you would want done with that money anyway isn't it...

In a case such as this, I suggest that the obligee file an estate claim for the unpaid support.

To claim a child as a dependent on your taxes, the child must have lived with you and you must have provided support for over 50% of the year. So the mother in this case can claim her grandson on her taxes if she supported the child for at least 183 days out of the year, regardless of whether or not the mother of the child owes back child support.

No, you cannot get money back that you paid in child support. There may be circumstances where you could sue a person for some of that money back if you found out the child was not yours.

No. The money isn't for the mother. The money is for supporting the child. Back child support belongs to the estate of the deceased and will eventually benefit the child. And even if the child should die, the back child support does not go away.

The person who provided physical custody of the child for more than 50% of the year can claim the child as a dependent, regardless of whether or not back child support is owed.

As in a new claim? No, only the child can up until age 19.

Not for an established claim, however a new claim can be filed up to one year after the age of majority.

Wife can go down to Child Support Office and cancel request. However, does it matter? The money is going back into your household for your child.

The back child support is still a debt. The estate should make a claim against the father. The money is still owed to the mother. Whether your wife receives any of it will depend on the estate and what bills are owed.

You should visit the court and ask to speak with Child Support Enforcement. You can file a claim in the estate.

No. Back child support is money you should have been paying when you didn't. You owe it until it is all paid up.

Get a DNA test. Then if it proves the child isn't yours you won't have to pay child support. You might even be a able to get back the money you have already paid in child support.

Only if the obligee parent releases the claim or is deceased.

Only if the claim was kept active after age 18.

The court penalty is that any income received before the claim is processed be used for child support payment. After the claim is granted, the court can garnish it for back child support.

Any money designated as taxable income is subject to garnishment for child support.

It all depends on WHO the arrears are being paid to. If the father was paying support directly to the mother, the back support/arrears would go to the mother. The support was never owed to the child, who has no standing in it. The payments are supposed to assist the mother by helping her to raise the child until the legal age of adulthood or whatever age was specified in the support decree. The support money belongs to her and if she chooses to turn it over to the child that his her business. Legally, the child has no claim on it. ON THE OTHER HAND: If the arrears are being paid to the state - the father is simply reimbursing the state for spending taxpayers money to support her for all the time he did not pay, and neither the mother nor the child has any claim on it.

When you sign up for any type of government aid you sign your right to claim support.

The courts must approve any waiver or settlement of back child support. This is because, strictly speaking, the money is for the child, not you.

First, be very careful. Many a child has done this only to learn he was never behind in support. See link. As for you, only if your mother kept the claim active after you turned 18.

Up to age 18 on a new claim even when the man never knew the child existed.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.