Best Answer

Possibly a root canal. Or he could put a false half on it.

Dentists NEVER "glue back on" the other half. If it is a small "chip" most likely a filling will do it. A larger break will require a filling to make the tooth "tooth shaped" again and then a crown. A root canal is only needed if the tooth had large decay causing the break or if the nerve of the tooth is damaged or exposed.

User Avatar

Wiki User

2018-02-18 13:16:37
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides



Salivary glands


See all cards
23 Reviews

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: If your tooth is broken will the dentist pull it fill it or do a root canal?
Write your answer...
Still have questions?
magnify glass
Related questions

Will a dentist fill in a gap with tooth colored filling?

Depending if it is a root canal, but remember this, everything that you want them to do will cost more.

Does tooth die after root canal?

Yes, generally when you remove the nerve root you then have a dead tooth. the dentist must fill the canal and either cap it or discuss other options with you, as it will turn gray because it has no nerve.

Why has the tooth turned pink after root canal?

Your tooth should not be a color pink after a root canal! If the center of the tooth is a slight pink that could just be the (gutta percha) which is a rubber base material the dentist fills in the canal with, this take the space where the nerves use to be.. Gutta Percha color is pink... After a root canal and the gutta percha is packed in the canals, the dentist will then fill the center of your tooth with a white or silver filling. If you are not satified with the results simply ask you dentist to put a bit more white filling material on your tooth to hide color of material....most of the time dentist are ok doing that. Aunt Laura

What to do for a deep cavity and rotted tooth?

Have a dentist fill the cavity with or without a root canal, and while you're there, have him pull that tooth before the infection goes into the jawbone and you have to have part of your jaw removed. The dentist can also show you how to brush and floss your teeth to slow down further tooth damage.

Why would a dentist drill out a tooth and fill if there is no cavity?

The dentist is crooked, and looking to make a buck.

What are your options if you have a hole where a filling came out and you don't want a root canal as injections make you pass out?

You are going to have to have an injection whether you have the tooth pulled or root canal therapy. You really need to talk to your dentist to decide what is the best situation for your tooth. If it is just a case of a filling falling out though you shouldn't need root canal therapy but you might still need an injection for the repair of the tooth if the dentist needs to do any work to fill the cavity.

I have a small patch of decalcification on a front tooth. Should I let my dentist fill this tooth?

No. Decalcification is not the same thing as tooth decay. It is the precursor to it. Talk to your dentist about other options.

Why does a molar tooth still hurt two months after a root canal and could the nerve still be in the tooth?

Weird, I had this same problem recently. I had a root canal down and a few months later my tooth started hurting again. I was now going to a different dentist and he took out the filling and the previous dentist didn't fill my tooth right and my nerves were swollen so they had to cut the nerves and do a new root canal with a new filling. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. It is unusual that a tooth would hurt two months after a root canal, although it is not impossible. It might be that the restaurantion done on the tooth is too high, not letting the tooth heal correctly. There are always chances that there was an extra canal that wasn't seen by the operator. You can talk to your dentist about that possibility. He might suggest to wait 6 months.

If you get a cavity on a loose tooth will the dentist fill it?

No, because your loose tooth will fall out eventually, than you won't have anything to worry about.

What is the process of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)?

Root canal treatment (RCT) is a procedure to repair and save a damaged or infected tooth. The steps in a RCT procedure are: Anesthesia: The dentist will numb the area around the tooth to reduce discomfort. Access: The dentist will create an opening in the top of the tooth to access the inside. Cleaning: The dentist will remove the damaged or infected pulp (soft tissue inside the tooth), clean the inside of the tooth, and shape it to prepare for filling. Filling: The dentist will fill the inside of the tooth with a rubber-like material called gutta-percha, and may place a temporary filling or crown. Final restoration: After a few weeks, the dentist will place a permanent filling or crown to protect the tooth and restore its function. RCT is a common procedure and can be successful in saving the damaged tooth and preventing the need for an extraction.

What is a rootcanal?

Sometimes an infection in a tooth becomes abscessed. At that point, it becomes necessary either to pull the tooth or to clean out the root and fill it. A root canal means the dentist cleans out the root of the tooth. He or she drills out the nerves and blood supply to the tooth. The tooth may have one, two, three, or four roots. Each root is cleaned out, filled, and then a regular filling is placed in the rest of the tooth.

What to do when your tooth breaks?

When your tooth breaks nothing major happens. Go to the dentist and have it looked at. If its a big chip then the dentist will fill it in with a clear liquid that soon hardens and blends in with your tooth.. If the chip is small then nothing will happen unless it's visible.

People also asked