Children and the Law
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out
Care of Mice and Rats

In California can the parent of a 16-year-old who has a baby with her 18-year-old boyfriend force her and her child to live at home and only allow the father of the baby visitation?

User Avatar
Wiki User
September 12, 2011 10:59PM

No.The baby is not your parents, its yours, and your parents do not have the legal right to decide what is best for your baby.They can force YOU to live there, but they cannot force your baby to stay there, and they cannot decide how the time will be spent with your baby. They can say you are not alloud to see the father, but they cannot deprive him of seeing his son if you agree to let him have partial custody. It is YOUR baby and you get to make all of the decisions involving your child, not your parents. If need be, you can ask a judge to be emancipated, and if the judge decides that you can live on your own, you do not need your parents permission. Its complicated minors having children, but all persons in California having childrenare subject to the same rights and laws as everybody else, regardless of age.