In California if you die and was never married to the father of your child can you assign custody to your parents?

More than likely the child will be placed in the biological fathers custody in the event of your death.
If the father is not in the child's life it will be best to have him relinquish his parental rights so in the event of such accident the child can legally reside with your family.