Children and the Law

In Michigan can a 16-year-old who is removed from an abusive home by state child protective services live with her boyfriend's parents?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-12-15 13:48:05

She would not be allowed to move in with her boyfriend's family

unless the adults were appointed her legal guardian, which is

highly improbable. Neither is it standard procedure for the judge

to place an abused child into the home of another family member as

it could jeopardize the child's welfare and the outcome of any

custodial procedure. The decision of where the minor is place is

based on the findings of the investigating agency. However, in the

majority of abuse cases the minor child will be placed in a foster

or group home until the custodial hearing and not with a family

member or friends of the family, regardless of their


Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.