Is 20mg of Adderall too large a dose for a 12-year-old girl who weighs 85 lbs?
Read on for more information from Wiki s contributors:
- My son is 8 years old and weighs 55 pounds. He was prescribed 10 mg Adderall and it was very effective. Doctors seem to start with small doses and raise them until the desired effect is reached.
- My daughter is 9yrs old weighs 72 pounds is on 15 mg of adderall xr. we started about 1week ago she was straterra on 40 mg of it. this stuff is so much better then straterra she was get sick before and had bad stomach aches. my 7 yr is 44 pounds we started her on 36MG OF CONERTA
Just as a reference point, I am a 22 year old college student and at 165lbs and I take 20mg doses of non-extended release Adderall, which has a very strong effect on me. Though it isn't "prescribed by weight," it's still a stimulant. Yes, it will react differently in all people, so you can't go strictly by weight, but obviously if you give an 88lb twelve year old two cups of coffee, it's going to be way different than if you give a 165lb person 2 cups of coffee. There are exceptions, and of course the severity of ADD symptoms may warrant a large dose, but 20mg of narcotics is a lot! So definitely work from the smallest dose up.
- Monitor your child closely for depression, anxiety, nervousness, and social withdrawal. Adderall at those levels will probably cause all of these eventually, especially if your daughter is so young. If she is tweleve, she should be starting middle school, or has started. Middle school is hard enough without drugs that screw up her emotions and her thought process. Be careful, and remember that doctors hand that stuff out like candy. If at all possible, try to fix your daughter's life without medication. Adderall is extremely addictive, and, should your daughter choose to get off the medication, she will experience withdrawal and will have to relearn how to cope with everyday life all over again.
- I wouldn't worry too much, as long as she doesn't have an severe side effects. when i was a child i took meds from before i can remember until i was 14. i always had a pretty high tolerance for medications and i was on the highest dose that was physically possible without overdosing for someone my weight. i took more mg of Ritalin every day than my older brother... it just depends on the person
I'm not a doctor but I called Adderall about their dosage for mg. They do not go by weight. Thre is a chart they follow. My daughter is 10-years-old and weights 90 pounds. We just changed her Adderall XR from 20 mg to 25 mg, but then the doctor decided on 30 mg. I decided it should be more than 25, but less than 30 mg, so I open her pills and give her less than 30 mg. I don't give it to her on weekends, either. My other daughter takes Concerta 54 mg. and needs it all the time. Adderall XR made her depressed. Always talk with your doctor about your child's medications
- i am a 28 year old woman. 20 mgs of adderall has a huge effect on me physically and mentally. 5 mgs also has a huge effect! you need to be careful with your daughter. adderall is amphetamines, pure and simple. speed. think of how much you would feel safe taking yourself. as a child she may not be aware of the changes in her body and mind or able to express them well. just because something is sold by a pharmaceutical company and is legal doesn't necessarily mean it's the best option for dealing with an attention span problem. in fact, it's probably the worst way to deal with the problem in most cases.
How do you guys sleep at night??? I am 22 years old and I work full time and am taking 3 night classes. I am on 10 mg not extended release and I am still awake doing school work (psychology, that hpw I cam across this) I would just like to say that 20mg of XR is way to much for a 12 year girl plus she is going through puberty and this combination could really bring on bulemia, addiction, and other bad influences. I am no doctor, but I was prescribed to 20 XR adderall at 13 It helped, but not as much as it helped me lose weight, I grew an addiction to it and became bulemic because when it wore off I would be starving so I would stuff and barf. Then I picked up a ciggrette habit because I like the way i felt when smoking on adderral and it helped my throw up. I am just placing my concern. Like i said before Im no doctor and the truth is everyone is diffrent. Please just watch for her weight change, make sure she is busy with good activity so that she is not taught bad influences like cigrettes. i am fine now and I do not smoke cigerretes, but I would have been better off without it
a survey of U.S. middle schools, grades 6-8, found that one in eight students were experimenting with some form of tobacco such as cigrettes, cigars, and chewing tobacco. -Visualizing Pschology - Carpenter, Siri and Huffman, Keri
Research on here( Wiki s): Can you smoke cigarettes while on Adderall XR
Eating Disorders affect up to 24 million Americans and 70 million individuals worldwide.
The Renfrew Center Foundation for Eating Disorders, Eating Disorders 101 Guide: A Summary of Issues, Statistics and Resources, published September 2002, revised October 2003, http://www.renfrew.org.
90 % of those who have eating disorders are women between the ages of 12 and 25.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, The Center for Mental Health Services, offices of the US Department of Health and Human Services.
its not unusual.
I wouldn't recomend it but i haven't seen her to be sure myself, it is between the doctor and the girl on the dose of the drug and cannot be told by weight and age. But in my opinion, i wouldn't give her that much.