Is a person holding an expired green card legally in the US?

In theory, They are considered out of status or "unlawfully present."However, in practice if you apply to have it renewed which is not a complex process you can show you are having it renewed and would not be deported. Renew the green card, or better,if you satisfy the residency requirements, apply for citizenship.