Is a road test required to add a P endorsement with a Q restriction if you already have a Class A CDL?

You would have to be more specific about what a Q restriction is. Restriction codes vary by state (here in North Carolina, they are numbered).
However, to test for a passenger endorsement, a road test is required as well as a written test, even if you have a CDL already.