Labor and Employment Law
Copyright Law

Is an individual protected under employment privacy laws when they are terminated?


User Avatar
Wiki User

The question asked is somewhat ambiguous in nature, as would be necessary to have certain facts remain obscured for obvious reasons. The particulars being unknown, a definitive answer would be best derived either through competent counsel, or through reading the published material which addresses the specifics of the case in particular. The concept of Qualified Privilege extends through the realms of protection from defamation to the definitions of what is acceptable under certain circumstances, and by whom. What may be deemed to be perfectly innocent in one instance may prove injurious in another; and, those in a position as employees under one contract may have protections spelled out under this provision that their contract does not address, giving them additional protections of which they may have been unaware. An "AT-Will" employee may be fired at any time for any reason; but, the provisions of Qualified Privilege may protect that employee and be the basis for a lawsuit if the employer acted in a way contrary to the provisions. THEREFORE; without knowing the particular facts of the case, the best guide to you would be to use the search engine using the term "QUALIFIED PRIVILEGE" and look through the wealth of information that turns up. A search through another popular search engine failed to return results, but this one proved fruitful. Depending upon where you are in the world, what's found there might be helpful. That which applies to the UK, however, must not be construed to automatically apply to the US, and vice-versa. Hope it helps. * In the US employment laws are established under both state and federal statutes. Many variables exist as to how they are applied, for example whether the person is employed by a state or federal agency, private business, professional venue and so forth. That being the case, the best option for a terminated employee is to discuss the issue with the union representative or in lieu of such contact the state's labor relations board for accurate information on his or her specific situation.