Law & Legal Issues
Police and Law Enforcement

Is contempt of court a felony or misdemeanor?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2008-07-20 18:16:49
2008-07-20 18:16:49

I have applied for a job that checks your background for felony and misdemeanor charges. I recently found that I have a contempt of court fine for a seat belt ticket in NJ. Is this a misdemeanor?


Related Questions

Contempt of court is usually a misdemeanor.

Contempt of court is any act involving disrespect to the court or failure to obey its rules or orders. Contempt of court carries a maximum of 30 days in jail. It is a misdemeanor.

"Contempt of court" is a civil matter, not criminal, so it is neither.

Typically it is a misdemeanor. However, the judge can order you held in jail as long as the contempt is ongoing.

Neither. Government Code section 21.002, Contempt of Court, does not classify contempt at all, although the punishments are consistent with a misdemeanor rather than a felony, except that in cases a contemner may be confined for a period not exceeding 18 months.

Neither - civil penalties are not classified as misdemeanors or felonies. It is simply "contempt of court" for which you can be fined (but rarely jailed).

No, a High Court Misdemeanor is not a Felony. a Misdemeanor is a Misdemeanor and Felony is a higher different judgement.

Nothing. Its not a real crime. The judge can have you in jail for how long she/he wants. She/He won't have you in jail longer for 1 day.

To my knowledge there is no such thing as "Felony" or "Misdemeanor" probation violation. If you violate probation, you are in contempt of court, and have absconded from the imposition of a court ordered sentence, both of which can get you sent back to jail to serve your sentence for the conviction for which you were serving probation.

A felony is not a misdemeanor, and a misdemeanor is not a felony.

It depends on whether it is a criminal case or a cvil case and what act constituted the contempt action.

Only when an order of contempt has been issued by superior court. See link below on contempt.

It is the same as the crime for which you are being charged. Fail to appear for a Felony is is a felony warrant. Fail to appear on a local ordinance charge is a local ordinance warrant with limited extradition.

It can either be a felony or misdemeanor. Where I live in California under $400 is a misdemeanor, and over $400 is a felony.

The decision on whether a crime is a felony or a misdemeanor is a legislative decision and the court cannot change that directly. However most felony crimes have 'lesser included offenses' that are misdemeanors. For example, a burglary could be charged as a criminal trespass, a felony assault as a misdemeanor assault, or a robbery as a simple theft. This is not usually done by a Judge or a court, but can easily be done by a prosecutor or jury.

To my knowledge there is no "felony" or "Misdemeanor" probation violation. If you violate probation, you are in contempt of court, and you have violated an administrative rule. both of which can get you sent back to jail to serve your sentence for the conviction for which you were serving probation. And, yes, Kansas will extradite for a probation violation if the supervising state requests it.

No, it's a misdemeanor.

Felony. "Petit/Petty" theft is a misdemeanor.

Selling is a felony...smoking is a misdemeanor... sooooooo get high ;)

Can a District Court Prosecutor add a misdemeanor charge to a felony charge in Michigan just on hearsay and without any evidence? I always assumed that only a Circuit Court could add additional charges after all evidence has been presented to the court.

a felonyAnother View: It depends entirely as to whether you are on misdemeanor probation or felony probation.

No. What you are charged with cannot be changed except by the court.

If you were charged with a felony - appeared in court - the charge was reduced from a felony offense to a misdemeanor offense - and then you skipped out and it has been necessary to issue a warrant for your arrest; It means that by fleeing you failed to complete your part of the 'legal' bargain and the felony charge would quite likely be re-instituted and you could now be a fugitive felon.

No, no felony is typically defined as a violent act. This can be considered in violation of a court order and/or contempt of court

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.