The best answer (with just a bit of technical stuff).
Ask around to find out if using metal in a microwave is okay, and the answer is often a no. A no is a safe answer, and that's for sure. There are instances where metal is absolutely to be avoided. Metal utensils are a no-no, and the use of plates with metal designs should be avoided. That said, there are times when a bit of foil greatly helps with things and can be used safely. But the situations will vary. With that in mind, let's look at, "Is it save to put metal in a microwave oven?"
It may be yes, or it may be no. Here's a suggestion. Let the manufacturer make the call on this one. Generally speaking, the magnetron (the component in the microwave that generates the microwave energy) won't be harmed by metal in the cavity (the cooking area). But any metal within the cavity might act like a microwave antenna, and this may create arcs, and even start a fire within the cooking area. This will melt and burn things within the cavity, and almost certainly damage the door, which will make the oven unsafe to use (if it doesn't actually disable the oven). But setting aside those issues, let's look more closely at the microwave and how it should be used.
No one on this board can tell for sure without the owners manual or the model number of the machine in question (so one could look at the owner's manual) whether metal can or cannot be used in a given machine. "No" is a safe answer, but it may not be correct. A microwave has some cooking capabilities that may not be obvious, and anyone who owns or uses one of these puppies should know whether or not something like foil can be used inside it. There are even some microwaveable "fast foods" that have a bit of foil in the microwaveable package. Additionally, some microwave ovens allow a bit of foil over a portion of a food item being cooked, like the ends of the drumsticks on a bird. If the manufacturer's manual is not handy, it may be possible to go to the manufacturer's web site and actually view it online. Certainly the pamphlet can be had by ordering it. Get the manual. Read it. There might be several things in there that weren't obvious. Like whether or not foil can be used in the oven. That's why the correct answer may be either yes, or no.
If you have any doubts or issues, or you are not familiar with the manufacturer's instructions for a given unit, the "no" is a safe default answer and should be applied. But further investigation and thinking is in order if a microwave user wants to get the maximum out of a unit and really develop insight into the truth in the answer.
Surf on over to the USDA page with microwave use and safety suggestions. Scroll down to the section on the use of foil and see what they have to say. That's a good place to start, and you're just a few keystrokes and mouse clicks away right now.
No, you can put plastic in the microwave which would melt in the oven and metal dishes are oven safe but can't be used in the microwave. Glass works in either.
No, never put metal in a microwave oven!!
No, just because it's microwave safe does not mean it's oven safe. The thermal mechanisms involved in microwave radiation and convective heat are completely different. Many plastics are microwave safe, but you should never put plastic in the oven.
metal and some plastic
Yes, silicone is microwave safe. It is also safe to put in the dishwasher, and even in the oven.
Putting metal in the microwave can cause a fire to happen.
It is very dangerous to put any kind of metal object in a microwave oven. It can make the microwave oven stop working and can also have other negative effects.
Yes, porcelain is dishwasher safe, oven safe, but do not put it into the microwave!
Technically you could put them in the oven, but if you are planning to turn the oven on, I wouldn't recommend it.If the dishes are plastic, as most dishes labeled 'dishwasher and microwave safe' are, then they will melt if used in the oven. A microwave is safe as its only a few minutes, and a dishwasher uses hot water.
i once accidently put metal in my microwave not knowing what i was doing and it worked fine after that. i would say that if it didnt happen lnonger than 5 seconds it should be okay.
Yes, you can put anything that will fit into your microwave oven as long as it's not made of any type of metal. That can cause sparks and set your microwave on fire.
If it is a pyrex you can put it in the oven. If it says microwave safe on the bottom you can microwave it