answersLogoWhite
Alcoholic Beverages

Is rubbing alcohol a harmful chemical?

237238239

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2015-07-17 17:47:29
Rubbing AlcoholParaphrased from Wikipedia.org entries:

Rubbing Alcohol is not necessarily a "harmful" chemical, but is one that should be used with caution, and as directed on the packaging1.

Rubbing alcohol is sometimes consumed by those who cannot afford or cannot legally buy beverage alcohol (ethanol). The minimum age of 21 to purchase alcohol in the United States does not apply to rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol products that contain methyl alcohol (methanol) can cause blindness, permanent disabling illness, or death when consumed1. Isopropyl alcohol may also be partly metabolized to acetone, which is toxic to the liver.

Rubbing alcohol should be used in a well-ventilated area. Some cautions go so far as to say protective gloves should be worn while using it. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption of rubbing alcohol1.

Isopropyl alcohol vapor is heavier than air and is highly flammable with a very wide combustible range2.

Mixing rubbing alcohol with pool chlorine can result in a Haloform reaction, generating lots of heat and boiling off its products as excess gas. If this chemical reaction is done inside a closed plastic container, the gas can build up until it ruptures violently. This can pose a serious risk of injury as the chemicals (such as bleach) and shrapnel from the container are thrown outward by the explosion1.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

Rubbing alcohol when consumed in a large quanity causes your blood sugar levels to drop, which if severe enough could be fatal.

Yes, if you drink it or smell it excessively. Using it to santize and clean up things is all right, however, don't spend too much time with it. If it is necessary to use this around the house, make sure to keep doors and windows open if possible!

I am adding to the other answers. Do not drink or put in the eyes, which can cause blindness

It is very strong fume and can literally take your breath away. Isocol rubbing alcohol is able to be used to clean make up brushes. Wash them with it thoroughly, flick dry away from your face. It will kill bacteria and be very clean. Isocol is from alcohol base and can kill bacteria on the skin can be used for drying up pimples. DO NOT PUT IT IN OR NEAR YOUR EYES!!!!!!!!If you do get any chemical in your eyes immediately get fresh running water to it for 15 minutes and contact the hospital emergency department.

it depends. just use it for external use and whatever you do , don't swallow it, smell it, or get it in you eyes.

001
๐Ÿ™
0
๐Ÿคจ
0
๐Ÿ˜ฎ
0
๐Ÿ˜‚
0

Your Answer

Related Questions


The chemical symbol for rubbing alcohol is C3H8O.


Yes. Breathing almost any chemical vapor is harmful. Combining rubbing alcohol with ammonia creates an extremely toxic vapor. Use only in a well ventilated area.


Rubbing alcohol is called 2-propanol or isopropyl alcohol.


Do NOT Drink Rubbing Alcohol It can cause blindness. Rubbing alcohol is "isopropyl" alcohol, not the same chemical as grain alcohol, ("ethyl" alcohol). Don't drink it! Rubbing alcohol is POISONOUS to drink!


Isopropyl rubbing alcohol must contain min. 70 % alcohol.


Rubbing alcohol is a mixture of ethanol, iso-propanol, a dye etc.


Isopropyl alcohol also known by it's common name "rubbing" alcohol is mostly made from a chemical called 2-propanol. The chemical code for 2-propanol is C3H8O.


The chemical formula for isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is C3H8O. Its molar mass is 60.095g/mol.


OH YES! it has killed people.


A correct answer is difficult: 1. Rubbing alcohol is ethanol (ethyl alcohol) intentionally contaminated with methyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol. 2. Isopropyl alcohol, in jargon.


Rubbing is a physical process. Alcohol is a chemical compound. Evaporation is a physical process, not a chemical reaction. Depending on what exactly you wanted to know choose one of the above three sentences.


Ammonium Fluoride smells like rubbing alcohol but is not flammable. Alcohol itself is extremely flammable and dangerous when exposed to heat.


Isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol - (isopropanol, or the abbreviation IPA) - a flammable chemical compound with a sharp smell. It's molecular formula is C3H8O.


Frequently is a mixture of water with denaturated ethanol or isopropyl alcohol.


Isopropyl Alcohol is more commonly known as rubbing alcohol. It is a flammable, colorless chemical compound with a very strong odor. It has the molecular formula of C3H8O or C3H7OH.


A physical property of isopropyl alcohol is that it is flammable at room temperature. A chemical property of isopropyl alcohol is it is oxidized by the liver into acetone.



its a chemical change because it forms a new substance


Rubbing alcohol has many uses one of these is for muscle aches and hot or feverish skin. Isopropyl one of alcohol constituents has gasoline elements which are harmful to humans if used or consumed.


The word "alcohol" in the term "rubbing alcohol" is meant in the chemical sense. It is not the same kind of alcohol present in alcoholic drinks. Rubbing alcohol contains about 70% 2-propanol and 30% water. 2-propanol is actually poisonous, so you shouldn't drink it regardless.


No, rubbing alcohol has oil and isopropyl alcohol in it.


Rubbing alcohol should not be ingested in children AND adults, no matter if you are in perfect health, ingesting more than an ounce will make you feel the need to call 911


Rubbing alcohol is a mixture: ethanol, a dye, isopropyl alcohol, etc.


Basically you get weaker rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is already a mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol.


It is a mixture of denatured alcohol, water and agents added to make the alcohol unpalatable to drink and sometimes colorants. There are two common types of rubbing alcohol, Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol and Ethyl Alcohol Rubbing Alcohol.



Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.